Reviews please for company 'Tabla Sitar Musicals'

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

sappleton

Reviews please for company 'Tabla Sitar Musicals'

Post by sappleton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi fellow Sitar fans.
I have been learning to play the sitar for about 2 years & have a very good teacher. I am currently looking to purchase a new, high quality sitar by a quality named maker & have been wanting to purchase from a shop in England, but so far have not been impressed with the stock & quality on offer.
I came across this company, 'Tabla Sitar Musicals' http://www.tablasitarmusicals.com/sitar-for-sale/ who stock sitars from good makers, i.e. Kanai Lal, Monoj K Sardar etc. with delivery & taxes paid for UK & US buyers!.
Can anyone out there tell me their experience of ordering from them, good or bad, customer service, quality of instruments once received, quality & robustness of packaging etc etc.

I very much look forward to hearing from you & my thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

ShivAnandiTodi

Re: Reviews please for company 'Tabla Sitar Musicals'

Post by ShivAnandiTodi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:37 am

I've only ordered one instrument from TSM and it was totally rubbish (to be fair it was their "own brand" and not one of the well known ones). It was truly terrible (I think I actually might throw it away) and as they described it as professional quality, etc etc I wouldn't personally trust whatever they say, even if it is another branded instrument. Their customer service was ok, but the instrument was shipped late. Thats about all I can say :(

If you're looking for a good quality sitar in the UK then Nick (trippymonk on this forum - see the sitar section) has an amazing emporium. Take a few hours, head up north to him and have a look, he has many (literally whole rooms) professional grade sitars at very reasonable prices. I know you say you want a new one but the old Hiren Roy/Kanai Lal etc are still good compared to some of todays stuff.

The only other option is to friend some of the Mirajkar makers on Facebook and get it custom made to your spec. Prices are reasonable and if you are lucky you will get something playable. User Bakersbites (in sitar section) on here has some experience dealing with these guys so it's worth asking him.

Good luck. You will probably get better advice if you post this to the sitar section.

sappleton

Re: Reviews please for company 'Tabla Sitar Musicals'

Post by sappleton » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi ShivAnandiTodi
Many thanks for your reply which is very informative. I did, in the end, purchase a J K Sengupta sitar from TSM & am very happy with the it. It has just needed a bit of time & tweeking but the sound is developing now. Also got some godod advice from Lars & my teacher. I must say the service was great, ordered it on a Friday, from New Dehli, & it arrived on the following Tuesday morning!. The workmanship is great & Iam looking forward to many years of use.

Steve