What constitutes ascent and descent?

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

What constitutes ascent and descent?

Post by StVitus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:52 am

What constitutes an ascent or descent in a raag? Is it any sequence of notes moving in one direction? The direction a phrase ultimately ends up? Is this just up to individual musicians and gharanas? I ask because Indian musicians often don’t adhere to any simple rules for this, and gharanas seem to have their own rules regarding how notes can and can’t be played. So I’m confused about exactly what is considered an ascend or descent in relation to when a note can be played.

David Russell Watson

Re: What constitutes ascent and descent?

Post by David Russell Watson » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:37 am

See the discussion at

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2996 .

David

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 am

Thanks!

profpandit

Post by profpandit » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:54 am

StVitus wrote:What constitutes an ascent or descent in a raag? Is it any sequence of notes moving in one direction? The direction a phrase ultimately ends up? Is this just up to individual musicians and gharanas? I ask because Indian musicians often don’t adhere to any simple rules for this, and gharanas seem to have their own rules regarding how notes can and can’t be played. So I’m confused about exactly what is considered an ascend or descent in relation to when a note can be played.
Given a thaat which is basically some subset of the 12 notes in the scale.
How you ascend the scale and how you descend are sometimes different.
In simpler raags, they are the same.
Ascent and descent are secondary to pakad, which is a characteristic phrase that nails a raag.
Very rarely, a very experienced musician will make a very small change to these rules
That is only to give it a slightly different flavour.
The gharanas may have also discovered such variations. But they're usually very minoir.