प्रकाश onstage at ICM performances

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

प्रकाश onstage at ICM performances

Postby StVitus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 pm

I often see signs that say “प्रकाश” on the microphone stands at ICM concerts filmed in India. I don’t see how the literal meaning of प्रकाश relates to music. Would someone please explain what it means? This video of Smt. Kaushiki Chakraborty is a great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkNlOUF6OLE

biharilal

Re: प्रकाश onstage at ICM performances

Postby biharilal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:22 am

StVitus wrote:I often see signs that say “प्रकाश” on the microphone stands at ICM concerts filmed in India. I don’t see how the literal meaning of प्रकाश relates to music. Would someone please explain what it means? This video of Smt. Kaushiki Chakraborty is a great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkNlOUF6OLE

Well the word origionates in Hindi and represents a farming implement used to till the earth.
In English, you would call it a hoe but there are regional differences,
since the “प्रकाश” is fabricated by a blacksmith and not in a factory like the traditional English Hoe.

I think the use of that word is probably associated with reminding the audience of the classical and indegenous nature of the music. Other similar naming examples are
Radel who makes electronic tanpuras.
Radel is derived from Radhe who was a character in Indian mythology.
In general, you find the naming of brands associated with ICM
to be more of historical, traditional and heritage type.

Disclaimer: I am a newbie to this area and this is only an observation and my personal opinion

david
Site Admin

Postby david » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:50 pm

It is the name of the sound company that supplied the microphones, amp, and speakers. It is a very common custom for sound companies to do this.

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks, David!

biharilal

Postby biharilal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Sorry, I was mistaken.
The word means light (as in sunlight) and not hoe

Return to “ICM NEWBIES”