book on veena building

This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

coyootie

book on veena building

Postby coyootie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:39 am

https://smbkatalogshop.besucherdienst.o ... uctId/3051

this is from the same museum as the 'sitar and surbahar building' book. it's in German but includes a CD with lotsa pix of the art of veena making by one of the best master builders.I just ordered this one too and it looks like a true holy grail of info, even without any German language fluency. I'm just getting ready to refret a magnificent S. Indian veena and this should offer some priceless info on that.

coyootie

Re: book on veena building

Postby coyootie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm

finally received the book. it is excellent.although in German there is an English summary and notes with the illustrations. There is enough info on re-doing melam that you can do it yourself if you are dextrous. This is a very complex job though and most people probably can't manage it. I do melam repairs and there is reason why it is costly- as far as I know there are only a handful of people in N. America that can do it.The book notes that melam will need to be redone about every 3 years, more often if the veena is played heavily. It entails removing all the wax and frets, flattening and repolishing them, melting wax and moulding it onto the rails,trimming the wax flat and level,setting and leveling the frets,then trimming and scalloping the wax.whew.
if you figure in what it costs to transport a veena back and forth- with all the atrocious fees of airlines-I wonder what the realized expense is to take a veena back to S. India.
The book features the work of M. Palaniappan who made veenas for Ramjee for many years. His work is superb and I hope his sons are carrying on his legacy.It is awe-inspiring, and humbling, to see the level of artistry the veena makers achieve using very simple, even primitive tools and virtually no electricity. Rough cuts may be done at a sawmill with a large bandsaw, otherwise it's all hand done.

martin spaink

Re: book on veena building

Postby martin spaink » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 am

Couldn't agree more! It is humbling to see what can be done with simple tools such as can be seen on some of the photo's! Me, I always fuss over tools. Have the book at home now. Recently had a brass casting made to replace the bent-side chikari bridge, for one instrument that needs attention. The casters did me a favour in between jobs I guess, paid more for the two-way postage than for the cast itself. I had the privilege to accompany Shreevidhya Chandrmouli and TR Sundaresan on a lovely concert tour in 2003, and talked a lot about Veena. My first crack at a Sarasvati veena was at one round, cracked bottom that needed doing over properly which was tricky, how to apply pressure when you do your final glue-up? Tricky instruments!

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”