Carnatic confusion

This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Stuti

Carnatic confusion

Postby Stuti » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Greetings,
I was trying to figure out the numbering of seven notes and comparing them to the hindustani notes. Example Sa is Sa, R1= komal Re, R2= shuddha Re, R3= komal Ga, G1= shuddha Re, G2= komal Ga,
G3= shuddha Ga Etc. In the first carnatic mela I came across Raga Kanakaangi. S, R1, G1, M1, P, D1, N1, S
When I compared R1 and G1 I had noticed those notes to be Komal Re and Shuddha Re and the same with D1 and N1. These are notes that follow one another so I get
S,r,R,m,P,d,D,S is this correct? What am I not understanding? Help please!
Thank You
Stuti

jaan e kharabat

Re: Carnatic confusion

Postby jaan e kharabat » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Stuti wrote: What am I not understanding?

Nothing, you got it just right. The Carnatic melakarta system allows such structures but it is mostly theoritical and for the sake of completeness, the ragas with these swaras are to my knowledge mostly rare and hardly ever preformed.

I may be wrong though so someone with better experience of Carnatic music please chime in.
If there are just ''six tones'' in an octave [sic] then why have frets for tones that don't exist?

Bobby

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Now this is funny!

I was having a talk with dad and he was discussing Kanakaangi with me.
You have it all rite Stuti.
As Jaan correctly pointed out...the Carnatic music offers such compositions and variations.

Ustad Rais Khansaab has definitely played this raag. Unfortunately...no records exist. Dad had heard it since he was his gurubhai. (disciple of the same teacher, lucky!).

Before a month and a half Stuti...I and my wife were pondering over what name to call my unborn child.
We did not know if the baby would be a boy or a girl.

It was pre decided by us.
If it wud be a boy, we wud call him "Kanakaang" (Meaning one with a body as beautiful as gold/male)
And "Kanakaangi" if girl.

I had a baby boy, unfortunately, since most of my folks here beleive in atrology, I am not permitted no use a name beginning with "K".

Regards.
Bob.

Stuti

Postby Stuti » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:17 am

Thank You all, I thought I was loosing my mind.
Stuti

swarmanttra

Re: Carnatic confusion

Postby swarmanttra » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:33 am

Shruti
There are a major difference between South Indian Classical Music and North Indian Classical Music.
You need to know them very well first. I have describe those in following article you can refer it for more information
Hope you will enjoy... :arrow: http://www.swarmanttra.com/blog/differe ... ian-music/

You can also refer below article:
http://www.indiancentury.com/musicnorth.htm

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”