Carnatic Players? Singers?

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Diego

Carnatic Players? Singers?

Post by Diego » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:59 am

Hi, I've posted here a couple of times before.

My name is Diego, I'm in London, and I've been playing tabla for a while, but this year I have also taken up mrdangam and Carnatic singing.

I wonder, does anyone in the site have an interest in either discipline, particularly singing, or just carnatic music in general?

The site is of course very well served for tabla.

Keshavdas

Re: Carnatic Players? Singers?

Post by Keshavdas » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 am

I don't play any Carnatic music - but am a big lover of Subbalakshmi, Bombay Jayshree, TV Gopalkrishnan, Dr. Chitti Babu, Aruna Sairam, Sowmya and many other players. Wish they would all do more concerts here in the States but audience support is sparce.
Cheers,
Keshav
"More harm is done by fools through foolishness
then is done by evildoers through wickedness."

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:48 am

I spent a little time in Tamil Nadu and was quite blown away by the temple music played on nadashvaran and thavil; I suspect that it would make quite a splash in the west if it got more exposure. screaming reeds that sound like late Coltrane mixed with one of the coolest drums in the world - what's not to like??

then there's U Srinivas on electric mandolin - that guy's amazing!

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 am

Hi Diego

My suspicion is that a lot of forum members have an interest in Carnatic music in general, from the way the subject pops up from time to time in other threads. But I haven't seen much in-depth discussion.

I'm a prime example - I love listening to Carnatic, particularly vocal, and veena, and have some favourite performers, but I wouldn't claim to have any knowledge of it. This takes a lot of detailed study, of malakartas, ragas and compositions, I think, to claim a proper acquaintance, I'm not sure there's as easy a way to pick it up bit by bit as for Hindustani.

That's for me anyway, but then I have to say my interest in Carnatic only started with trips to South India some ten years ago, whereas I've been following Hindustani for about 40 years.

But after being immersed in the hectic Chennai December season I was converted, and have been back several times now - this is the biggest Indian classical music fix you can get.

Diego

Post by Diego » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Oh hey everyone!

It's great to see that other people are interested in carnatic music also – I'm particularly grateful for the creation of a whole new section of the forum for this purpose!

I would say that as a beginner I cannot likely even comprehend the complexities of the music system as it truly is, but I would say it's not so difficult to get enough of a grip to appreciate it –

I am also a big fan of M.S. Subbulakshmi and Sowmya, although many others are good too, I need to put up references. S.Gayathri, for example, has some interesting recordings, and Nithyashree is always considered a favourite (although I don't always agree with her accompaniment).

Srinivas is quite interesting, and I like the willingness to put such an unlikely instrument together with carnatic music (all due respect, of course, to mandolin players)

skalman

Post by skalman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi Diego and others,
Its great to see that there is a Carnatic section now. I'm probably the opposite of most of the forumites here; I have a keen interest in Hindustani music and am studying Carnatic music. I've been learning Saraswati veena (and vocal by default) for about a year and a half. Learning to sing in Kannada (or the given language of a composition) has been a huge challenge. My teacher is Veena Kinhal based in San Diego and I also study with Chitravina N. Ravikiran occassionally. I'm a beginner, so don't know how much I can contribute, but am up to discuss topics of Carnatic music. www.rasikas.org has a good forum also but I find it a little esoteric as a non-Indian
My introduction to the music was through Lalgudi Jayaraman"s wonderful violin playing. Since then I've grown to like Jayanthi Kumaresh, Dr. Chittibabu, S. Balachander, TN Krishnan and TN Seshagopalan among others.

Diego

Post by Diego » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:19 am

Hi there, Skalman,

I'm just a beginner as well, (and I am still doing Janta and Dhatu Varisais so still even more of a beginner!) so no worries – Incidentally, apparently my teacher's teacher's teacher was Lalgudi Jayaraman – although both my teacher and her teacher are vocalists, it seems they learnt from him.

Why the Veena in particular, if you were introduced through the playing of a violinist?

skalman

Post by skalman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:56 pm

...and alankaras next I suppose. Let us know how it goes.

Well, being a guitar player I don't think I'd have much of an aptitude for violin. The visual que of the fretboard is helpful to me. My initial thought was to adapt slide guitar playing, but I found a local veena teacher, so that's what I've been focussing on. I also like the fact that veena is even more obscure than sitar. I might switch to chitravina if I ever make it to India to select an instrument. Violin has a beautiful round vocal timbre for the music but I also like the woody, buzzy tone of veena.

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Keshav Bhai
Won't be getting much from Dr Chitti Babu as he died a few years back.

Lucky enough to video Nagaswaram & Tavil playing in South India on the last few trips there.

ragamala
Yes, about those here being interested but not much talk.
Carnatik music can be very 'composition' based, I find. It doesn't always leave much space for impro sometimes.

Nick

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:22 pm

trippy monkey wrote:Keshav Bhai
Won't be getting much from Dr Chitti Babu as he died a few years back.Nick
And maybe "performers" or some such should replace "players"? given the emphasis (even more than Hindustani?) on vocal performance. Gosh this forum is so instrument-oriented..
trippy monkey wrote:Lucky enough to video Nagaswaram & Tavil playing in South India on the last few trips there.
Nick
For me listening to a nagaswaram performance is just one step up from sticking a pin in my ear. I don't think this instrument has a serious place in carnatic music. The sound is raucous (is that dictionary validated - maybe I meant couscous - that would be a good ingredient to block up your ear) and what is worse makes Mrs Ragamala flee in panic.
trippy monkey wrote:ragamala

Carnatik music can be very 'composition' based, I find. It doesn't always leave much space for impro sometimes.

Nick
I would not think many Carnatic artists would agree with that? I think the strength of Carnatic music is it has this vast repertoire of composed pieces.

Now if we are looking at a typical performance in concert-mode, it may well be that the shorter pieces are composition- rather than improvisation- dominated (execpt to the uninitiated, in which class I include myself). But in the centrepiece of any recital is a good RTP. In this there is every opportunity to explore, and display prowess and invention.

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:02 pm

ragamala
Since when has a quality of sound stopped anyone or any player from playing ICM of any kind. :lol: :roll:

I often wonder why so many female singers shriek so obviously ABOVE their 'natural' range. I can hear their voices straining. Lata is a prime example!

Nick

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 am

Since when has a quality of sound stopped anyone or any player from playing ICM of any kind. :lol: :roll:
Nick
Yes - you're talking to someone who for years in his youth justified Bob Dylan - but there are limits - I could just about tolerate nagaswaram played outside on a windy day with the wind blowing the sound in the opposite direction, but in a classical concert? It normally takes two performers, I guess just because the instrument is so unwieldy it's hard to play fast passages - maybe they play alternate notes? It is not often I walk out of a concert, but I have made an exception to the rule for nagaswaram.
I often wonder why so many female singers shriek so obviously ABOVE their 'natural' range. I can hear their voices straining. Lata is a prime example!

Nick
I thought we were talking ICM not Bollywood playback singers!

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:57 am

It happens just as often in ICM as Bollywood unless you're making a statement about Bollywood :wink:

Nick

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:00 pm

skalman wrote: My introduction to the music was through Lalgudi Jayaraman"s wonderful violin playing. Since then I've grown to like Jayanthi Kumaresh, Dr. Chittibabu, S. Balachander, TN Krishnan and TN Seshagopalan among others.
For veena I was wondering why E Gayathri wasn't up there on your list? She is streets ahead of any other veena player I've heard live (and yes I know Chittibabu and Balachander have passed, but to be honest their music which I only ever heard from recordings, doesn't enthral me as much as E's) and has a great but modest concert presence. She seems equally at home in the short compositions as the deeper RTPs.

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 pm

trippy monkey wrote:It happens just as often in ICM as Bollywood unless you're making a statement about Bollywood :wink:

Nick
No, love Bollywood - bring on the dancing girls :lol:

However, I must admit I have more enjoyed watching the making of a Bollywood movie than being in the cinema. Fascinating. And the dancers are soooo beautiful in the flesh (the girls too!).

My favourite music ever from Bollywood movie is Ek Rishtaa - since I first heard it I've never been able to get it out of my head.