Carnatic Players? Singers?

This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

skalman

Re: Carnatic Players? Singers?

Postby skalman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:54 pm

For veena I was wondering why E Gayathri wasn't up there on your list? She is streets ahead of any other veena player I've heard live (and yes I know Chittibabu and Balachander have passed, but to be honest their music which I only ever heard from recordings, doesn't enthral me as much as E's) and has a great but modest concert presence. She seems equally at home in the short compositions as the deeper RTPs.[/quote]

I'll give E Gayathri a closer listen.

I don't know how she ranks, but Rajeswari Pariti's Venkata Chala Nilayam is punk rock...really heavy.

I like Chittibabu for his inventiveness and pop sensibilities. Balachander was know for his string pulling, which, in my opinion goes beyond gayaki style and actually distracts from the music--probably high blasphemy to say so. Amazingly talented though.

And yeah, nadaswaram music is enthralling but so nasal its hard to listen to. Alvin, Simon and Theodore. I still love Bob Dylan's voice though. Neil Young too.8) And Bollywood singers, maybe its just an exaggerated caricature of femininity...or doubling the male vocal a full octave higher. Totally appropriate for hip-shaking and offering ripe mangos.

block

Postby block » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

ragamala wrote:For me listening to a nagaswaram performance is just one step up from sticking a pin in my ear. I don't think this instrument has a serious place in carnatic music.

Then your lack of appreciation for one of the main instruments make think you don't have a serious place in the perceptiveness of quality of indian classical music.

8)

cabernethy

Postby cabernethy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:04 am

I think that's a bit harsh :roll: - We all have very different ears and languages.

I Think it's entirely possible to fully appreciate HCM with minimal Carnatic knowledge. However I do agree that one cannot fully grasp ICM without taking the south deep into ones heart.

I Have always likened Carnatic with a jackfruit. You have to fight the fruit to hold it then the exterior to get to the sweet flesh inside. Some turn in dismay at the first or second hurdle. For me, this fruit is going to take decades to fully ripen, but I have managed to taste but a sample of what is ahead for me and boy it is sweet :D

I Don't want to start a South Vs North debate (my family are from Madurai) and I may be talking out of complete ignorance but have wanted to ask this question for a long time -

Isn't it true that all ICM originates from southern theory and writings ?

Ramtin

Postby Ramtin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 am

I know very few Carnatic musicians but I've been listening to Sheik Chinna Moulana and Chitti Babu lately.

ChittiBabuLover

Postby ChittiBabuLover » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/user/AradhanaDXB

You might really like this!

L.S.RAMESH

Postby L.S.RAMESH » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:04 am

Diego wrote:Hi, I've posted here a couple of times before.

My name is Diego, I'm in London, and I've been playing tabla for a while, but this year I have also taken up mrdangam and Carnatic singing.

I wonder, does anyone in the site have an interest in either discipline, particularly singing, or just carnatic music in general?

The site is of course very well served for tabla.

Sir,I have designed an innovative carnatic music chakra for beginners and professional musicians.please see my website http://www.faces108.com
Regards
L.S.Ramesh

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”