p

This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

trippy monkey

p

Postby trippy monkey » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:34 pm

p
Last edited by trippy monkey on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ragamala

Re: Carnatic & Hindusthani Ragas

Postby ragamala » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:01 pm

trippy monkey wrote:Is there anyone here who knows the Carnatic to Hindusthani equivalents of the main ragas.

Like Malkauns is Hindolam, I think.

Nick

google
carnatic raga hindustani equivalent

and take your pick!

I'm not sure the lists there are pinning down raga to its movements rather than its notes, nor that the equivalence even of a pentatonic raga like Malkauns, means the ragas are "equivalent" meaning "equal", even though they share the same nots.

Diego

Postby Diego » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm

http://www.karnatik.com/hcragatable.shtml

That link provides a useful list of equivalents, that in general is quite a useful website!

However, I do agree that problems with the movements, particularly in Brugas and Gamaka, might preclude any of these being true, complete Raagam equivalents – the rendering of even a hindustani raagam by a carnatic musician is different from what a hindustani musician would do.

But still, it's a handy guide, and I have compared some carnatic songs in one ragaam with hindustani pieces in a hindustani raaga - similarities are very notable, so the table is useful.

jaan e kharabat

Postby jaan e kharabat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:42 pm

Some of the main ones which spring to mind:

Malkauns - Hindolam
Kedar - Hamir Kalyani
Bhimpalasi - Karnatakdevgandhar
Bhoopali - Mohanam
Bhairavi - Sindhu Bhairavi
Bilawal - Shankarabharanam
If there are just ''six tones'' in an octave [sic] then why have frets for tones that don't exist?

Kanti Dattani

Postby Kanti Dattani » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 pm

I have the following cds of Carnatic and Hindustani ragas collaboration/jugalbandhi by North and South musicians. Are there any more?

Balamurali Krishna and Bhimsen Joshi, raga Bhairavi, 60 minutes, NRCD0088
Balamurali Krishna and Hariprasad Chaurasia, Mohanam and Bhoopali, 64, NRCD0041
Kadri Gopalnath saxophone and V. Narasinhalu clarinet, Abheri, Bhimpalasi, ragmalika, Mohana, Bhoopali,
Sindhu Bhairavi, Bhairavi CD C5CI5036
Lalgudi Jayaraman and Amjad Ali, Bhopali Malkauns, 56, CD PSLP1491
L Subramanium and Bismillah Khan, Yaman, 42, ACCD1020
L Subramanium and Ali Akbar Khan, Sindhi Bhairavi, 50, RSMC-D-103
M S Gopalkrishnan and Sultan Khan, Bhoop and Dhun, 73, NRCD0065
Narayan Mani veena and Ulhas Bapat santoor, Salag varali Bhimpalasi Bhoopali Abhogini Hansadhwani Yamanchakra and Kafi, CD D4HI2310
T N Krishnan and Amjad Ali, Sangeeta, Salaga Bhairavi, 45, CD PSLP5432

Kanti Dattani

adunc069

Postby adunc069 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Lest we forget about the Sense World album called Josh, featuring Ustad Shahid Parvez with Shashank
Sadaqat chup nahi sakti banawat ke usolon
se, Ki khushbu a nahi sakti kabhi kaghez ke phoolon se

luvdasitar

Postby luvdasitar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:39 am

There is a jugalbandi on youtube. Gopal Meera on the Veena and Ustad Shahid Parvez on the sitar, playing Puriya. For me the Jugallbandi did not work because of the big differences in tone between the two instruments and also that you can fly on the sitar whereas the Saraswati Veena is a heavier instrument. I think a jugalbandi with the Surbahar might have worked better ?

Mulamoodan

Postby Mulamoodan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:23 pm

luvdasitar wrote:There is a jugalbandi on youtube. Gopal Meera on the Veena and Ustad Shahid Parvez on the sitar, playing Puriya. For me the Jugallbandi did not work because of the big differences in tone between the two instruments and also that you can fly on the sitar whereas the Saraswati Veena is a heavier instrument. I think a jugalbandi with the Surbahar might have worked better ?

Apart from the exposures of musicians involved in this case, one issue with S Veena is that the strokes are unidirectional like Surbahar, but sitar strokes are bidirectional, doubling the speed. So my guess is Surb would work better.

Christianamr

Postby Christianamr » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 am

Diego wrote:http://www.karnatik.com/hcragatable.shtml

I often come back to this list .
Just now I wanted to find more info about the carnatic equivalent of Lalit , namely Suryalalit , which is what most of these lists give ...
But even the website above doesn´t have any info on Suryalalit , so it seems to be quite obscure ... :?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.music.indian.classical/o3eXYiE9DV4

This is a discussion about the carnatic equivalent of Lalit ~~ no satisfactory conclusion is to be found , neither any mention of the mysterious Suryalalit ... :(
सहस्रनाम ततुलयम राम नाम वरानने |
Sahasranāma tat tulyam Rāma nāma Varānane .

Christianamr

Postby Christianamr » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 am

A discussion about the similarity between Senjurutti and Jhinjhoti :

http://rasikas.org/forum_flux/topic996-jhinjoti-or-senjurutti.html

Depends on how you see it.. There are very elaborate renditions of hindUstANi jhinjhOTi - Actually it is much more important rAga than our jhanjUTi which at best gets a small devaranAma/bhajan/shlOka or a part of a rAGamAlika.

Many sanchAras in hindustani jhanjhUTi are very similar to our own grand rAgas kaMbhOji and yadukula kAmbhOji

Hindustani Jhinjoti is nowhere close to Senchuriti !

Jhinjoti is infact very close to Kambhoji but it's flavour is very different. If Kambhoji can be 'robust', Jhinjoti is 'serene and calm'

--------------

@ushasree,
I guess the same is true of all ragams that are sung in madhyama sruti (nAdanAmakriyA for eg.), as their range is usually restricted.
-bhaktha

The carnatic raga is often or mostly sung in Madhyama Shruti .
I checked out what this means : It´s referring to the tampura tuning in ma instead of Pa and some sites say that the Sa is also shifted to the ma .
So having heard some songs in Chenchurutti , they sound to me like some kind of Bageshri ~ Kafi thaat raga with emphasis on ma .

Christianamr

Postby Christianamr » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 am

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”