Postby ragamala » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:39 pm

coyootie wrote:go to:
http://www.coyotespaw.com
click on "musical istruments"

Nice instrument but phew - nice price!

coyootie

Re: fantastic saraswati veena for sale

Postby coyootie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:49 am

try to find one this good anywhere, at any price. didja see what was being asked for Pomerantz's sitars and surbahars? this is a quite reasonable price actually for a really maestro-quality veena- obviously you're not too familiar with what they go for. I doubt you could find a veena of Ramjee's in India of this vintage and quality and condition.check prices from Andy's Music in Chicago too if you want some comps.
we've been largely spoiled on sitar prices generally, and if Indian labor wasn't so incredibly cheap, what do you think a sitar should cost? If you compare the work and artistry in a sitar with an average factory made good guitar............
as we've seen in China there's been a substantial inflation in prices of instruments there. it's gonna happen in our lifetimes in India too and anything we're buying now is going to be damned cheap in the not-too-distant future.

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 am

coyootie wrote:try to find one this good anywhere, at any price. didja see what was being asked for Pomerantz's sitars and surbahars? this is a quite reasonable price actually for a really maestro-quality veena- obviously you're not too familiar with what they go for...........

I'm sure you are right, and no I haven't a clue what veenas cost in the US, beginner or professional models, my comment was an eyebrow raise, not a criticism.

However I do see what veenas go for in the shops in south India, and although the quality may not be in that league neither is the price.

In London veenas can be bought from around 500 dollars.

coyootie

Postby coyootie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:59 pm

nobody in South India will sell you a veena made in the 60's by Ramjee for $500 and no one in London with any brains would sell this instrument for any less than I do.
what's your point? you said you don't have a clue what veenas cost in the US. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm not going to tell you you're highly priced unless you're a lawyer.
My point is, the price I'm asking for this very fine,rare instrument is damned reasonable,and since you're not buying it, who gives a flip for what you think?

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:48 pm

coyootie wrote:nobody in South India will sell you a veena made in the 60's by Ramjee for $500 and no one in London with any brains would sell this instrument for any less than I do.
what's your point? you said you don't have a clue what veenas cost in the US. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm not going to tell you you're highly priced unless you're a lawyer.
My point is, the price I'm asking for this very fine,rare instrument is damned reasonable,and since you're not buying it, who gives a flip for what you think?

I think your attack on me is entirely unjustified. I wonder whether you can go back and read my posts and justify what you have said.

I never said I could find a vintage instrument in south India to match that quality. What I didn't say was that a beginner to reasonable veena can be picked up from maybe 5,000 to 10,000 rupees.

My report re prices in London for a similar low to middle quality veena stands. Check it out on the web.

What is your problem with that?

If you are selling a vintage quality instrument then you have every right to justify your price.

However -

If I mention that the seller of this same instrument - tell me if I am wrong - wanted 1750 dollars in 2002/2003 and presumably you haven't been able to sell it since then maybe you will have to justify your price and markup, without giving me this bullshit about cheap Indian labour etc.

You have made this into a confrontational situation, which wasn't ever my intention. All I thought was that 3750 or so dollars was a good high price for a veena, and obviously at that price level you are selling to an educated and perhaps professional market.

But as you reap - if you haven't sold this veen a in 4-5 years you can't improve your chances by engaging in a slanging match with me???

As you say, my opinion doesn't count squat in this anyway - so why do this to yourself?

coyootie

Postby coyootie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:00 pm

why don't you find a useful job instead of being Batman for veena players, defending them against capitalism........ I don't know where you came up with a price of $1750 either!what 'seller of this same instrument' are you referring to????
you know, for some reason people turn into strange entities when they can can blog on the internet without having to deal with any face-to-face issues of insulting or offending others, as you're doing here. you're probably a perfectly nice pereson in actuality but you can't give up beating on this like a dog worrying a rat.
if you consume any Indian products, there's no bullshit about indian labor costs.they're remarkably cheap, no one will dispute that.let's keep going back and forth on nitpicking stupid crap, shall we? why did YOU initiate this with your "phew, nice price" remark unless you wanted to be somewhat less than constructive????
nothing in the world is more fun than than spraying graffiti,it seems.

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Nothing I have said should go back on my very first words, but I'm genuinely sorry if I have offended, partly because of not understanding in the first place you were the seller, and secondly because of my bloody-mindedness later.

This looks a great veena, and unlikely to find one of that quality easily nowadays. I hope it finds a good home.

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”