This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

raanan

3 mridangam available on ebay?

Postby raanan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Keshavdas

Re: 3 mridangam available on ebay?

Postby Keshavdas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 pm

I have no idea who the guy is. That said - he looks to have an honest face. As it's so bloody difficult to locate anything other than mediocre S. Indian mridungams - I would say that - were I living in your part of the world - I would risk it. This is not based on any prior knowledge - just a good gut feeling. My only reservation is the asking price. When I am fortunate enough to get a good one at the shop - I sell them for around $300.00. Two summers ago when TV Gopalkrishnan was visiting here in NY - he left two superior pieces here and he was asking $400.00 each - which I thought was too much. My feeling is that the drum is probably good - but the asking price - straight out of India - shipping not included - is predicated on the greed-driven assumption that some dumb-ass Westerner with too much money and nothing better to do - will buy it without thinking twice. I would contact the seller and offer him $300.00.
Cheers,
Keshav
"More harm is done by fools through foolishness
then is done by evildoers through wickedness."

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com

raanan

Postby raanan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:14 am

of course :) you can see that its not an ad intended for anyone who has any understanding of carnatic instruments, really it made me fall off my chair i was laughing, same as when i unknowingly bought my first set of tablas i asked the man 'is this the dugga that zakir hussain uses?' ... that was my purchase criteria :lol:

im in not in the market to buy anything new, i have a hard enough time affording good tabla skins and tying them. I thought i'd share that maybe give someone a laugh.

i stumbled on it searching for carnatic music on LP vynil.

Jeff Whittier

Postby Jeff Whittier » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:54 am

I once exchanged emails and phone calls with "fab-collectables." He seemed to be a sleaze ball to me, and I didn't do business with him.

Keshavdas

Postby Keshavdas » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:19 pm

I would trust Jeff's instincts pretty much any day.
"More harm is done by fools through foolishness
then is done by evildoers through wickedness."

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”