Difficulties with finding certain Kritis recorded

This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Diego

Difficulties with finding certain Kritis recorded

Postby Diego » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi All,

Just as a random query, where do you all purchase your Carnatic Music? I use a lot of iTunes, supplement it with MusicIndiaOnline and a few other similar sites – and the occasional CD, although those are very very rare, compared to ICM.

I like to listen to different versions of songs I learn – there are a few ones of Mayil Vahana out there (not many), and many of Sarasiruha Sana Priye, but I am having real difficulty finding any of Oothukaddu Venkatasubbaier's (spellings vary) Saptaratna Kritis.
Specifically, I am looking for Aganita Mahimadbhuta. Has anyone heard any recording of it, ever?

Mulamoodan

Re: Difficulties with finding certain Kritis recorded

Postby Mulamoodan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:49 pm

I think Chitravina Ravikiran has made it his mission to popularize Oothukaddu Venkatasubbaier compositions..
Check his website.. I found at least one on
http://www.ravikiranmusic.com/albums_vv.htm

Diego

Postby Diego » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Lovely! Found right on the site and already ordered – thank you!

panchamkauns

Postby panchamkauns » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Diego wrote:Just as a random query, where do you all purchase your Carnatic Music? I use a lot of iTunes, supplement it with MusicIndiaOnline and a few other similar sites – and the occasional CD, although those are very very rare, compared to ICM.

CDs very very rare? Not my experience at all. Let’s take a look at just one example, Ranjani—Gayathri, and look what they have on CD:

December Season 2001 (double CD)
Madrasil Margazhi 2003 (triple CD)
Madrasil Margazhi 2004 (triple CD)
Madrasil Margazhi 2005 (double CD)
Madrasil Margazhi 2006 (double CD)
Padaravindam (double CD)
Ambujam (double CD)
Un Thiruvadi Charanam (triple CD)
Paramanandam
Samaanam
Saravanabhava
Thendral

Three triple CDs, five double CDs and four single CDs ... is 28 discs, all in the last ten years. This, in my experience, is not an exceptional situation with South Indian singers. Many seem to be having one or two double or triple CDs a year. I’m sure the total amount may still be lower than for north India, but not low enough for ”rare”.

Check out eMusic, which is a subscription payment model quite unlike iTunes, but has a different catalogue and is big on Indian music.

PS: Please don’t contrast Carnatic music with ”ICM” (Indian classical music) — South India is part of India, and it seems pretty offensive to call only North Indian music ”classical”.
We are 3

panchamkauns

Postby panchamkauns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Or, to take another example, as I really feel this overpowering need to emphasize the abundance of Carnatic recordings. Aruna Sairam. Of course, she is a big star, but look at the amount of discs:

Arunaambujam (2 CD)
Bhagyadhalakshmi (2 CD)
Gayaka Vaggeyakaras (2 CD)
Hariyum Haranum (3 CD)
Uthukkadu Vaibhavam (3 CD)
Kamboji
Ksetra Chennapuri
Ksetra Srirangam
Madhurasmriti
Maname Kanam
Shanmatham
Svar Utsav 2001 (2 CD)
December Season 2000 (2 CD)
December Season 2001 (3 CD)
December Season 2002 (2 CD)
December Season 2003 (2 CD)
December Season 2004 (DVD)
December Season 2005 (3 CD)
December Season 2006 (2 CD)
Madrasil Margazhi 2005 (2 CD)
Madrasil Margazhi 2006 (2 CD)

There were also some 3—5 CDs that have been made on European labels. It amounts to over 40 discs. And this is an artist whose debut was in the 1990s.

Or take the Paddhatti series of vintage concert recordings that came out a couple of years ago. It had Lalgudi, Voleti, Ramani, GNB, MDR, MLV, Pattammal, Semmangudi, KVN, Sheik Chinna Moula, Musiri, DK Jayaraman, Maharajapuram Santhanam and Balamuralikrishna — all doubles or triples.

My point is simply that labels like Charsur, Rajalakshmi, Carnatica and others are simply pumping out CDs that are often double and often even triple sets. You can easily buy these over the web and quite often also as digital downloads or listen to them online through some service of that sort.
We are 3

Return to “CARNATIC SANGEET”