Ghatam

This is to discuss all things pertaining to the south Indian system of music

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Gemaine

Ghatam

Post by Gemaine » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 am

Hello everybody, I'm pretty new to Indian Classical music, but absolutely love the sounds of the Ghatam. Does anybody know of any specifics regarding the purchase of a ghatam? I am hopeful that it will be an easier process than tablas or mridangam seeing as I won't have to deal with head quality, etc, but is there a specific online store that would offer quality ghatams or is ebay/amazon my best bet? As far as I know, it seems to be have a much simpler construction so it seems to me like variations in quality would be limited, but I want to make sure before I get ahead of myself.

trippy monkey

Re: Ghatam

Post by trippy monkey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi G
There's always Sapthaswar & Sruthilaya in Chennai/Madras, India. They both have websites.
Ghatams are reinforced as you probably know, otherwise they would break.

Nick

Gemaine

Post by Gemaine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks! I'l' check those sites out. And while I'm sure the quality of the ghatams suggested on those sites are much better, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about Empire ghatams? http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ghatam/dp/B000BK2K98
http://www.austinbazaar.com/c=XM3yCOQP3 ... hatam.html

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Austin Bazaar said Rec price nearly $250. It's not a bloody sitar, it's 'only' a clay pot!!! Even their lower price of less than $120 is pushing it.
I have a plastic washing up bowl for sale at $100!! Anyone???? :lol: :lol:

Nick

Gemaine

Post by Gemaine » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Lol, I see your point, but would the ones from the other places be cheaper?

Djinn Fizz

Post by Djinn Fizz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm

I don't know the price - but I'm sure I've seen them on the KMI site (Keshav Music).
For sure they will charge a reasonable price. The guys in S. India are famous for
being unreliable when it comes to shipping. As far as quality is concerned, there
isn't much difference between one maker and the next. I'm told that recently someone
in the States is offering tuned ones - but I haven't heard who. A regular un-tuned
ghatam should be around $125.00 USD.