Any Tips On Manipulating Veena Wax Fretboard?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

povster
Site Admin

Any Tips On Manipulating Veena Wax Fretboard?

Post by povster » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 am

This is a long shotg but I need to do some fret adjustment on my Saraswati Veena.

I need some advice on how to manipulate the wax. Hair dryer for heat? Hot cloths? What?

Also, how to set the wax once a change is made? That is, say I can warm the wax and readjust the fret to the right position. Do I use a clamp and clamp it in position. making sure to maintain the right levelness? How long does the watm wax need to setup?

Also, is any of this on track? Any other suggestions most appreciated.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

povster
Site Admin

Re: Any Tips On Manipulating Veena Wax Fretboard?

Post by povster » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:41 am

No ti-ps. Not even from Tony, who has worked on these? Just want to touch up my veena.
...Michael

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:47 am

Hey there, Povster ! Sorry to beat you to the punch with the "Little Britain" zinger ! :) Veena fret wax - you will need a hair dryer and a cardboard heat baffle. That cardboard needs a notch cut in one side the width of the center low points flanking the fret being worked on. Cut that notch about 2" deep. Warm, that is WARM, I say. Warm, Sir ! Do NOT blast that fret area with high heat. It will take a few minutes. Hit both ends of the fret with the heat baffle covering the side of the neck. The inboard side of the wax tracks also needs to be hit with the hair dryer, Shift the heat baffle to protect the suburbs. If you see shiney wax and tears, it's too hot ! With the wax warm, grip the fret with a pair of bent needle nose pliers and carefully and slowly, ever so slowly shift the fret to the desired location. It will look like a Civil War exit wound at this point. Mould the wax around the fret end with a butter knife or some kind of smooth flat surface. Fingers work here as well. You will need to retouch the area with the hair dryer on occasion. Most likely the fret will have little tabs pointing down into the wax. Nice these are as they keep the fret from rolling. Adjust the fret height on both sides of the fret. When the fret is set to the corrected position, let it cool for an hour. I'm still developing better methods for this job. What I've described has worked on the last seven veenas I've had my paws on. Anybody with proper training and experience doing this, please chime in !

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks TeeKay! It is as I kind of pictured but good to get some confirmation. If I make aome interesting discoveries I'll let you know.
...Michael

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Is there anything Tony can't help us with???

Nick

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Let's see ! Balancing a check book; Varnish; Playing sitar without pain. :)