Sarangi Workshop by Pt. Dhruba Ghosh

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

abcdmm

Sarangi Workshop by Pt. Dhruba Ghosh

Post by abcdmm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello all,

There's a sarangi workshop by Dhruba Ghosh on 12th April at 6:30pm at NCPA's Godrej Dance Theatre, Mumbai. Afaik its free (?). More details here: http://www.ncpamumbai.com/event/sangit- ... april-2012

cheers.

abcdmm

Re: Sarangi Workshop by Pt. Dhruba Ghosh

Post by abcdmm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:26 am

Hello,

The workshop was wonderful :) Panditji began with Raag Barawa, followed by a lecture about the various sarangi gharanas, their styles of playing, the artists who played a big role in popularising the sarangi as a solo instrument, and some information about the sarangi itself.

He then played a composition & jhala in Raag Shree. Next, he showed us two videos, one of Bundu Khan playing Raga Bhairavi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OFpLwz_scc), and a folk player called Ustad Lakha Khan on the Sindhi sarangi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKW91efTko), to demonstrate the similarity in the fingering techniques of the Bundu Khan gharana and the folk sarangi.

This was followed by a Q & A session. He showed us two sarangis that he invented, one with four strings that lets him play the highest octave with more ease than a normal 3-stringed instrument; and a 5-stringed sarangi with a very wide body. Someone also asked him why he uses 3 different bows (a normal sarangi bow, a cello bow and a short esraj bow for fast taans).

It was from 6:30 to about 8pm, too short in my opinion! :)

cheers,

..m

s1owpoke

Post by s1owpoke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks for the review of the workshop. :D
S1owpoke

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

ragamala

Post by ragamala » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 am

Interesting. What was his explanation for the different bows?

abcdmm

Post by abcdmm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:39 am

s1owpoke wrote:Thanks for the review of the workshop. :D
No problem! Its hardly a review... just a fan gushing about it ;) :D
ragamala wrote:Interesting. What was his explanation for the different bows?
He said the shorter esraj bow is useful for playing fast taans. The sarangi bow hair is laid out in a layer at one end (where it is held) but bunched up at the other end, whereas the cello bow has it in a single layer all along its length. So he said it sounds equally good no matter which part of the bow is in contact with the strings.

I hope that makes sense. Mistakes, if any, are mine. :oops:

abcdmm

Post by abcdmm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 am

Here are some recordings from the workshop: http://www.mediafire.com/?i0450qtf74e9v

The folder contains:
1. Raga Barawa
2. Raga Shree
3. Panditji explaining the difference between komal Ga in Mian ki Malhar vs. Darbari, and shuddha Ga in Bhoopali vs. Shuddha Kalyan in response to a question from a member of the audience.

Panditji was accompanied on the tabla by Shruteendra Katagade, a student of Pt. Yogesh Samsi. The first two tracks are in the AMR format, the third is an MP3. The audio quality isn't that great, sorry.

cheers,

..m

s1owpoke

Post by s1owpoke » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Wow!!! Thanks so much for the recordings :D
S1owpoke

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

xakebuel

Post by xakebuel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Very interesting the idea of the cello string for the third main string. Do you know what cello string is it?

peeceebee

Post by peeceebee » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:53 am

I've been grappling with the issue of getting a responsive low Sa string since I took up sarangi, and recently a friend suggested trying a flat would guitar string, gauged .050 (I find .048 better with Sa tuned to E on my instruments). This works perfectly(!), clear, bright, full-bodied tone like I always dreamed of getting from a gut string, I strongly recommend trying this out-

stringtester

Post by stringtester » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:35 am

I have also tested a flatwound guitar string for low Sa. And also a steel cello string.
It was a Prim G heavy. Prim strings have a bright sound and a god tonal volume. And they
have a bit buzzing sound wich I like.
The cello string was god and also helped up the volume of the gutstrings.
The guitar string was also god but more metalic and hard in open string.
God responsity, and flexibility but the nice sound when a bow touch a gut string is lost.
Martin 2