sarangi bows avalaible for sale

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

martin spaink

sarangi bows avalaible for sale

Post by martin spaink » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am

deleted
Last edited by martin spaink on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin spaink

Re: sarangi bows avalaible for sale

Post by martin spaink » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 pm

This should turn up with an image, or at least a link:[img][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img341/6928/dsc00988pm.th.jpg[/img][/img]

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 pm

One bow is on its way to a new home!

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 pm

For those looking for professional, first class sarangi bows, I have one more available: made of Padouk wood, a frog of Wengé, finials of Boxwood, full length of the bowstick is 71 cm, thickness is tapered from 17 to 15,5 mm, stick is 100 grams, frog is 19 grams. New hair will be fitted to the bow, frog fully tied in etc. When fully completed, it will weigh around 150 grams.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/dsc01628q.jpg/

DrKashyap

Post by DrKashyap » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 am

Really a good bow. can be an asset for anybody.

peeceebee

Post by peeceebee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:25 pm

I received my bow from Martin yesterday- Wow! It's an instrument in itself, very lively and resonant, amazing materials and craftsmanship, perfectly balanced and finished- This is an education in what an artisan-made sarangi bow can be, that churned-out modern bows from India don't begin to approach-

Many, many thanks Martin- My playing will go to a whole new level with the life this bow gives the instrument-

coyootie

Post by coyootie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 am

very fine work M artin--- shabash!!!

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks all for the compliments, a bit of appreciation never hurts!
By now one more bow has been sold, never thought there were so many folks out there playing sarangi. Possibly in the near future I will make some more.

neilpan

Post by neilpan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 pm

martin spaink wrote:Thanks all for the compliments, a bit of appreciation never hurts!
By now one more bow has been sold, never thought there were so many folks out there playing sarangi. Possibly in the near future I will make some more.
Martin, I am extremely interested :) Please keep us apprised when you're planning to make new bows :) Also, do these bows have adjustable tension screw (such as violin bows)?

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Nope, I use the traditional designs in which a properly fitting loose frog is tied in. If ever I was to do it differently, I would make a stepped recess in which the frog would click in position, which is how most western violin and-what-have-you bows before Mozarts' time were tensioned. This gives a great firm coupling of hair to bow and allows for crisp articulation. The screwed-up frog assembly is too loose a connection considering the high tension on a sarangi bow, the frog would pull free from the stick as it only hangs on a little bolt attached squarely to the frog which rides over the central axis screw. If everything is done well, traditional style sarangi bows keep their tension over very long periods, half a lifetime or more, really. And if some problem arises, you can shim it up between the hair and frog at the back of the frog, inserting cut-to-fit folded carton under the hair (rest the bow on its extremities and bend it carefully to give the hair some slack) and push it back as far as it will go. Now that I'm on it, that's best done by cutting a strip of thin plastic (your creditcard or some such) the width of the hair-channel on the frog. You fold over a good estimated bit of carton double over the plastic strip, insert it carefully under the hair, bend the bow with feeling to slacken the hair, push in as far as possible and retrieve the plastic strip. Repeat if proven necessary, comb the hair nice and straight well in to the frog while bendslacking the hair.

neilpan

Post by neilpan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 am

^ Thank you Martin for the explanation. You should do videos because some of your explanations are difficult to follow for bottom feeders like myself. haha :lol:

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:19 am

I might have an inkling of what you're saying but 'bottom-feeders' was never part of my vocabulary. I am in no way unsympathetic towards instructive 'how to' video, but do not feel much inclined to go video and get it into all that. If I think it is worth it, I take a photo. Some I make accessible. I know there is a fast-forwarding trend of speeding up info-bites and make everything immediately visual. I can see the good of that in many examples, at least in my line of interest. But there's an incredibly large amount of any foul word you choose here out there that I'd rather not know about, or wish I'd never seen when it is of course already to late, how do you want me to put this into a video??
This is an impromptu rendering upon the theme 'yes, no vids expected'. Ain't got the stuff and don't feel much attracted to get into it.

neilpan

Post by neilpan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 am

martin spaink wrote:I might have an inkling of what you're saying but 'bottom-feeders' was never part of my vocabulary. I am in no way unsympathetic towards instructive 'how to' video, but do not feel much inclined to go video and get it into all that. If I think it is worth it, I take a photo. Some I make accessible. I know there is a fast-forwarding trend of speeding up info-bites and make everything immediately visual. I can see the good of that in many examples, at least in my line of interest. But there's an incredibly large amount of any foul word you choose here out there that I'd rather not know about, or wish I'd never seen when it is of course already to late, how do you want me to put this into a video??
This is an impromptu rendering upon the theme 'yes, no vids expected'. Ain't got the stuff and don't feel much attracted to get into it.
Hey! My apologies...I didn't mean it in that way. I was just joking that it is too much to grasp for newbies like me :) Your help is always appreciated, needless to say.

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 am

No need to apologize, but what IS a bottom-feeder? Sounds like something way-down the food-chain..

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Fri May 17, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Harry, welcome to the forum. Yes, internet can be fun and even useful, but why do you quote the specs of one of my bows as sole contents of your message? What is your point, if any? Just wondering.