lower octave vitat

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

chrisitar

lower octave vitat

Post by chrisitar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Almost every North Indian classical instrument has a "dhrupad version" that can play the lower octaves/slower alap like surbahar for sitar, sursringar for sarod, vichitra veena for slide guitar, etc. Why isn't there a big 'dhrupad sarangi' meant for playing low octaves?
Meend over matter

martin spaink

Re: lower octave vitat

Post by martin spaink » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Ha! You're right, I thought the same thing and at some point I modified my sarangi, I like the lower regsiters and wanted to get below karaj. I modified the hardware to have a longer karaj and tune it to anumandra pancham. You can see pics here:
http://imageshack.us/user/martinspaink
otherwise, on nicholas magriel's site you can see Hanuman Mishra with a giant sarangi! No idea what that kingsize axe can do, but it's bound to be lower as it is reaching over the top of his head when sitting in a playing position.

stringtester

Post by stringtester » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

Because the sarangi is so close to the khyal and thumri vocalstyle there are not so much
need of lower tones then low Sa.
But in the book "Pillars of Hindustani music" by B.R.Deodhar some vocalist talked aboute
a need of a bigger sarangi. Probably because the ordinary sarangi has it´s best sound in
a higher pitch. And what you can see of the picture in Nicholas Magriels side, it must
have been some eperiments. Maybe you can ask Nicholas more aboute it.
What I can understand it must be possible to build a bigger sarangi. Everything must be
bigger and thicker. Including the skin and the bow I suppose.
Maybe it can be problems because the gutstrings vill be so thick. That means problems
to get a good respons to the bow and a god quality of the sound. In weterrn musical
instruments they use wound gutstrings in the base.But the sound of wound strings are
less bright then plain gut. In the early music they use pistoy-gut or loaded gut wich have
a sound more like plain gut. I vill test them for sarangi low sa string later. They are very
expensive. I also have an idéa of building a big sarangi in the future.

Martin2

chrisitar

Post by chrisitar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Perhaps the 'sursagar' was an attempt at this? A very rare instrument indeed, I've only heard it once in an old 1940's video clip. Maybe it could achieve the lower octaves? I wonder why there are no players of this instrument.
Meend over matter

peeceebee

Post by peeceebee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

The sursagar apparently had a very demanding technique, requiring both plucking and more normal sarangi-style fingering from the left hand. There were apparently only a few of them made, by it's inventor and mostly members of his family. Apparently bundu khan could play one, but of course was known for his sarangi playing.

A classical sarangi is demanding enough in technique, and gives a very beautiful and full expression of musical quality- and even it lags way behind in interest among players of Indian instruments...

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Also, with a good bit od added stringlength, it gets that much more difficult to play good sounding meends. I pity those who want to play Dhrupad on a cello because of this burden of larger distances of the fixed points in meends and gamakas! It means more hard work!

chrisitar

Post by chrisitar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOG41rKjrE

I knew a guy in St Louis who invented a double bass with sympathetics; the Bazantar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crSi9IxPfYA
Meend over matter