Dilruba Strings

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

arvsingh

Dilruba Strings

Postby arvsingh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:43 am

Hi,

I'm replacing all my Dilruba strings but I'm curious, I Found a seller that is selling
ELLORA ROSELU BRONZE and ELLORA ROSELU BRONZE strings. What is the exact difference. The seller said the bronze sounds better (Both are the same time) but I'd like your guys' input. Thanks

martin spaink

Re: Dilruba Strings

Postby martin spaink » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:21 pm

This all looks like a lot of misspelling, and you type the same thing twice, so it's hard to tell the difference! The ellora bit doesn't mean a thing to me, but the German firm Rösslau is proably meant by that other ditty. Bronce is an alloy of copper and tin, brass is copper and zinc. The less added tin or zinc, the softer the string. Bronce is known to have a higher tensile range at the same thickness, is a bit harder and brighter in sound. Normal brass strings are 70% copper, 30 % zinc (yellow brass), softer brass (used for the last few bass strings in historic harpsichords) are 85-90% copper(red brass). That's all the elucidation you can get out of me on this one.

arvsingh

Postby arvsingh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Oh man, sorry, I didn't reread this and sent it through my cell phone. I meant to say, the ebay seller 'Uniquestore9' is selling two sets of Ellora strings, one is bronze and the other one is just a normal set. the bronze one is only a few dollars more expensive though. I was curious to see if the bronze one would make a better sound. all the strings would be bronze, even the sympathetic ones too.

But thanks, that was great info. Much appreciated!

stringtester

Postby stringtester » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi!
I don´t know aboute the Ellora stringsets but I have tested a lot of strings,including bronze.
Nowdays it´s a jungle of different kind of strings wich is possible to use for dilruba.
The German Rösslau bronze strings have a very god quality. They are strong and stay in tone.
Have a noble and rich sound.In fact it´s possible to use them also for the first playing string (low Ma).
But the lifetime is not so long as for steelstings.
And it´s quite difficult to play on plain bronze strings in the base. It will very easy be a raspy sound.
So some dilruba and esradjplayers (including me) nowdays use flatwound guitarstrings.
They are more easy to play on. In my opinion so far the Tomastic infeld Jazz-swing strings
have the best sound. But they are not enought flat for the first playing string. If not
enought flat it will be some noise if playing gamakis. So for the first string I instead use Dáddario G string extra light flatwound.

But it sounds interesting with the set wich all strings are bronze. Maybe you can test them
and then tell us aboute them.
Good luck
Martin2

arvsingh

Postby arvsingh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks for the info, shall take those strings into future consideration. I am thinking of making a youtube channel and posting my progress, but I think I'll stick with soundcloud for now. I'll post it on there when I receive the strings and stringed the Dilruba.

stringtester

Postby stringtester » Fri May 03, 2013 4:33 pm

If you want to use flatwound strings in the future I can help you to find the right gauges,
wich is best for you and your instrument.
What gauges is best depends on the stringlength and the size of the instrument. Small
dilrubas want to have less tension then big dilrubas. The small often have it´s best sound
in a pitch around E or higher. My dilruba wich is a middlesize (stringlength 74cm) have
it´s best sound in a pitch of C sharp. Bigger dilrubas have it´s best sound around B or
even lower. If you have an old dilruba I think it´s best to be carefull and string it in less
tension. It also depends of your taste of sound. Thick strings in high tension give higher
volume and more round sound. Thinn strings in less tension give less volume and a more
bright and buzzing sound.
It´s best to have a bit more tension on the first playing string (low Ma). And then gradually
lower tension in the base.
It´s also possible to string the Dilruba with gut string. I saw a foto of an old esradj stringed
with gut strings. And I thought , Why not? So I tested it. It gives a dry very nice old time
sound. Even synthetic gut is possible. It gives gut sound with a toutch of metal. Very
nice. But you need to change the bowing technic a bit (more slow and easy bowing).
Sometime when I found the right technic felt like the bow was glued to the string. But
I need to test it more before I can say more aboute it.
Martin2

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”