Sarangi question

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

vnandhra

Sarangi question

Postby vnandhra » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Hello all,

I am hoping someone on this forum might have an answer to my question.
Just curious to know, why the upper peg box on the sarangi seems to be constructed in a way where it seems hollowed out and then covered with a piece of wood from behind. Is there a reason for this?

Hope to hear from you guys.
Thanks!

peeceebee

Re: Sarangi question

Postby peeceebee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 pm

My guess is that it's neater that way, there's no reason to have to get at the back of those pegs since they're strung from the top, unlike all the other pegs which need to be accessible for stringing. I happen to own a sarangi that doesn't have that portion covered in the back, but apparently most of them do-

vnandhra

Postby vnandhra » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey Thanks for the reply.
That would make sense. But then why hollow it out at all? I mean the pegs would still stay in place if not hollowed out and then covered. Its a bit confusing.

martin spaink

Postby martin spaink » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 pm

To which I add: If it had been left as a solid bit of wood, it would get top-heavy, it would be more likely to develop cracks, and since it has been scooped out, one can always carry a lump of rosin in it! (or any talisman, luck-charm, prayer rolls..)

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”