vintage dilruba restored! - FOR SALE

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

coyootie

vintage dilruba restored! - FOR SALE

Post by coyootie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Here's pix and details of a lovely old dilruba I restored. The sound's wonderful, I'll try to figure out a youtube or whatever for a demo.
It is made of a light colored and lightweight toon or related specie.The skin was intact and it has the reinforcing skin band under the main skin, clearly visible. The bridge was terribly porous antler and broke after I removed it, so I made a new one of deer antler( just happened to have an antler amongst my piles of obscure and rare raw materials).The original taraf holes were way too high which I realized only after making the bridge so I drilled a new row for them which worked out fine.The original rosewood pegs didn't fit worth crap so I redid all of them ( if I go to a bad place after death I think they will make me refit pegs indefinitely) with 1/4 size rosewood violin pegs. The nut was quite thin and had warped to a very bowed shape and was non functional so I made a new nut of camel bone, much thicker.
The bone bits at the end of the fret ledges were gone so I made new ones, also camel bone.The main 4 pegs were OK except one had a broken shaft so I fitted a new shaft with a V joint and superglue ( one of the few applications in lutherie where superglue is appropriate! ) I use the gel stuff which is better than liquid which runs all over and can indeed glue your fingers together.
I buffed all the frets on a jeweler's wheel with rouge and rounded the fret slots,retied them all solidly .This dilruba had the original thin red gut fret ties which may help to date it- I don't think gut has been used for many decades.I repaired a crushed section of the fret ledge near the high Sa fret.
The rod for the taraf pegs was busted at the lower end so I grafted a piece of indian rosewood there-it's practically invisible. I added 2 more screws and rosewood spacers along the neck to hold the peg rod rock solid- this stabilized it significantly and it stays in tune just fine. The original strings were so corroded and rusted I couldn't even figure out if they were steel or bronze, but when I removed the old bits from the string holder it was clear that 11 of the lower tarafs were bronze and the highest 6 were steel.I used the same gauges that were there originally and they work well- maybe a bit heavier than might be used nowadays.
I have it restrung with D'addario flatwound guitar strings ,they are fine for the main playing strings.I added some maple blocks inlaid in the walls of the pegbox-the walls were pretty thin and had split in one area. The maple squares added just enough reinforcement to enable the [refitted!!!] main pegs to work correctly.
I've got the Sa at about an E so it seems to work well. The overall length is about 37.5" and the string length is 26" so it's a smaller dilruba overall. A 3/4 cello bow is what I have now but I think a bass bow would be good to try.
I may be willing to sell this princessa in the not-distant future, PM me if you're looking for a wonderful vintage instrument.
Attachments
dil3.jpg
dil3.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 797 times
dil2.jpg
dil2.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 797 times
dil1.jpg
dil1.jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Last edited by coyootie on Fri May 30, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

coyootie

Re: vintage dilruba restored! with pix

Post by coyootie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:27 pm

here's the last pix
Attachments
dil6.jpg
dil6.jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 796 times
dil5.jpg
dil5.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 796 times
dil4.jpg
dil4.jpg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 796 times

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Mr. C, that's a lookin' very nice what you came up with! My Compliments!
I wonder what is the thickness of your lowest sounding playing string and what might be the open stringlength? And how do you manage with the bow, which is a western type meant for an overhand grip? German orchestral bass players use an underhand grip like viola da gamba- and sarangi players. Knowing that Indian dilruba bows are similar in type if not in weight to sarangibows they'd be used in an underhand grip, no? German bass bows have big frogs so the hair is quite a bit rempved from the stick, so plenty of room there to insert a few fingers. Viol players do not hold the bow at the frog, but mostly cling on to the hair 3 inches away from the frog, with just the index wrapped over the stick, but they use long bows, not the short bass bows. Just how much mass is needed to drive these strings?

coyootie

Post by coyootie » Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 pm

greetings vitat enthusiasts- I'm selling this dilruba-PM me if interested.