Intro and salaams

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Abdul Latif

Intro and salaams

Post by Abdul Latif » Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 am

Salaam to all. Its been a few years since I visited here and its great to see the site thriving. All praise to David and the volunteers who dedicate precious time to their passion.
I recently received a Taus I ordered from Miraj via Ebay. I played the dilruba for many years as an adjunct to sitar and have always loved the plaintive soulful voice of the instrument. Admittedly I am also attracted to its visual appeal. The instrument seems to be well constructed, the fit and finish is nicely done and as far as I've progressed the tone and intonation are correct. Any one reading this might be in the same position I am: Owner of a nice instrument with potential to create beautiful mandalas of sound AND the least literature of any Indian instrument I've encountered in 41 years of studying ICM.
This Taus has a 30 11/16th" scale length and seems to have been strung with what wire was available and the idea of tuning it to western C to western D. Due to the longer scale and boderline tension on the instrument at that pitch Sa=C, C# I would like input on using a lower Sa say G# to A. Are their any players reading this that would share their thoughts and conclusions on the overall subject of finding the Sa for the job, string gauges and tuning theory especially for the jawari/tamboura type strings running below the frets and above the sympathetics.

OM GUY

Re: Intro and salaams

Post by OM GUY » Sun May 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Well then, by all means, now that you've got my antennas peaked, please post some photos of your instrument, if you are able to do so. I'd love to see it! :)
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sun May 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Hey Abdul! I cannot help with the taus but it is fine to see you back here!
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Tue May 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Hello dear Abdul Latif, nice to see you back on the forum. You were the very first person I had contact with here on the forum, you quoted something out of an article of mine. salaams!
martin

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Thu May 30, 2013 5:17 pm

"Wa aleh Khoum, Salaam" oh Mullah of the Mojave ! ! ! Indeed, great to see you here once again. I got your message via my website but no return eMail. PM me that address, please ! ! ! Hope you, Suzie and all the doggieji's are doing well ! ! !