Miscellaneous Sarangi Questions

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

paul_brennan

Miscellaneous Sarangi Questions

Post by paul_brennan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi all,

I have a bunch of sarangi questions, excuse me if they are a bit all over the place:

I'm a violinist. Always loved sarangi. My Indian Music teacher at college was a sarangi player so I know it's a tough instrument. I'm pretty sure I don't have the chops and dedication to play classical Hindustani music at any serious level. Also probably no teacher available where I live. But I'd be happy to play lighter genres, such as folk songs, kirtan, etc. I can probably get some basic instruction and I have a good ear.

- Any comments on lighter genres for sarangi?
- Any comments on transition to sarangi from violin? I have tried one and know about the posture and nail use, but that's about all of my knowledge. What about position playing versus just going up and down on one finger? I suppose one can simulate this technique on violin...
- I'm getting the picture that it's best to order an instrument from India. I have some friends who might help with the negotiation. Any recommended contacts?
- I live in an arid climate. Will the instrument fall to pieces?

With kind regards,

Paul

peeceebee

Re: Miscellaneous Sarangi Questions

Post by peeceebee » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Sarangi can be, and has been, used in virtually all genres of music in India, and of course can be used in virtually any genre whatever in any type of music. There are some quite interesting collaborations being done of sarangi within more modern western musical styles of various types.

In terms of fingering, there is quite specific fingering for each note used by the somewhat differing systems of each gharana, but there is of course flexibility in applying this for meends etc. that slide across the range where different fingers should be used if the swaras were being played directly, and there are formulae as to which fingers to use in such cases also within each system. In more folk-styles of sarangi playing, there are often fewer if any slides, and much more multiple-fingering techniques for consecutive notes used.

A well-made sarangi made from well-cured wood and good materials should be robust enough to do well in any climate that humans do well in if it is cared for appropriately & stored, etc.

There are very good teachers available online over skype etc., quite doable once you get used to the limitations of the medium. I could recommend Dr. Kashyap Dave as an excellent teacher of sarangi technique.

paul_brennan

Post by paul_brennan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:05 am

Thank you very much for this - extremely helpful.

David Russell Watson

Post by David Russell Watson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 am

You've probably already seen the sarangi pages on this very site, but in case not, see here http://chandrakantha.com/articles/india ... ering.html .

There's a lot of detailed information on fingering.

David

paul_brennan

Post by paul_brennan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks David, that's great detail. So what I'm getting is that there are basic finger-sharing principles similar to violin, but it looks like there's a much bigger emphasis on playing scalar passages on one string, one finger over a range of about an octave. I guess is the only way to smoothly accommodate the meends - which is the fun stuff for me. This is something any competent violinist should be able to do, but I struggle :) So this gives me something to chew on technically for the time being - much gratitude to all.