sarangi peg breaking!

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

SarangiLal

sarangi peg breaking!

Postby SarangiLal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 am

I was tightening my pacham string the other day and low and behold - the peg started to crack. Its not broken yet, but I know it eventually will. Is there anyway to salvage it? If not, does anyone know where I could buy another one?

peeceebee

Re: sarangi peg breaking!

Postby peeceebee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:14 pm

You might try reinforcing the crack with glue, perhaps epoxy if it's wide enough to get it in the crack, or perhaps thick cyanoacrylate if it's a narrow crack-
Alternatively you can get prefabricated pegs from mid-east music supply and other suppliers, probably won't match your existing pegs and of course will need to be shaped, tamboura pegs may be thick enough-
The ideal solution is to find a woodworker with a lathe and have a new peg turned from appropriate hard wood to match your existing pegs, if you do that may as well have a spare made while you're at it for future difficulties- Good luck!

martin spaink

Postby martin spaink » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi, A lot depends on where and how exactly the break is. Tap the whole thing out from the other side, and make and post a detailed photo if possible. Pending that, I might have some suggestions on salvaging it. Probably there was a lot of torque, meaning it stuck in the small hole better than in the larger hole, so the whole length of the peg torques before it turns.

SarangiLal

Postby SarangiLal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:06 am

Martin,

Thanks for the help..Here is an image of the peg. It actually was the torque on the peg that did me in here. If you look closely near the hole, you will see a tiny crack. Is this Salvageable?
Attachments
peg.jpg
Broken Peg
peg.jpg (230.1 KiB) Viewed 582 times

martin spaink

Postby martin spaink » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Hello SarangiLal,
as far as i can see, it is a little crack indeed. Some solutions may get you out of trouble, but it wil depend on some factor still unknown to me:
if the crack falls on a weak spot in the wood, where the grain is very curvy, erratic, going any which way but straight and parallel to the length of the shaft, only glueing the crack itself is probably not enough. Anyway, if Peter's suggestion of finding a nice guy with a lathe to copy a new peg poses to many problems, and you're good with working with your hands, you might try the following:
See how much you can bend it open without breqking it, have a good look at the way the grain goes, will the two sides join up neatly if you press it close? If so, get a good white wood glue, not a bottle that's been lying around for years, get a little fine brush and cut a thin paper spatula. Bend open the crack, brush in a bit of water on both sides, wait a bit, apply glue with the paper spatula in the crack, let it soak in a few moments, then let it go close and apply pressure with a clamp or some such sqaure to the crack-line as far as you're able, figure out before you glue up how to get this steady, use some leqther or so to divide the pressure. Let dry for at least a couple of hours. To reinforce the sore spot, get a thickish bit of linen cloth or canvas, closely woven. It has to be able to soak up glue, so if it is waxed or something it won't do. Cut a strip about 4 cm wide and say twice as long. The idea is to apply glue to one side, wrap it very tight around the peg with the sore spot in the middle of the width of the cloth, so that you can make a full turn around the peg with a bit of overlapping the joint. Look here on Wikipedia how to make a common whipping and practice it well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_whipping
Apply glue evenly on the outside of the canvas, get a good strong thread, not nylon but something that will take up water and/or glue and so harden as well. Flaxen thread will do well here, but it should not be to coarse. The nmake the whipping quickly and tightly, windings close together. Use a wooden handle to wrap the bight around when you are readty to pull it in. Once that is done, apply glue over the binding as well, wipe off the excess with a small moist sponge. Check before that the thickness of both the canvas and binding thread together do not exceed the larger hole through which the peg should enter. Let the whole thing dry overnight. Fit the peg evenly in both holes, so that both have an equal grip on the peg. Drill a new hole for the string next to the reinforcement on the distal end. When stringing up, try to work the string on the peg in such a way that the pull is not effecting in the middle of the peg but closer to the wall of the top chamber. That's my abstract advice, not being able to do it myself and to adjust according to necessity when doing it, be mindful.
good luck with your sarangi!

Lars

Postby Lars » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 am

Devcon 4 epoxy, if you can spread the crack apart a little it's better. Work it in there and fill the hole also, wipe off excess and after it's a little firm clamp in a vise and let dry. File or sand off excess and redrill the hole. Chalk lightly and there you go. Have done this a few times for sitar pegs, even some completely broken and it works well. Many ways to do it, this is one way....

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Typical.

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”