Re-Skinning a Dilruba

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

kinderreality

Re-Skinning a Dilruba

Postby kinderreality » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 am

Hi all, I did an (ok, wish it were better) video about re-skinning a damaged dilruba. For those of you thinking about undertaking such an ordeal, you might find this useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCEYE1nK ... e=youtu.be

naad_brahma

Re: Re-Skinning a Dilruba

Postby naad_brahma » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 pm

A perfect example of how not to skin a dilruba. First off, you need to spead the wood glue thin if glue gets on the vibrating part of the skin it more or less ruins it in my opinion. Second, you should not be using thumbtacks, either lace the skin from behind to hold it taught or use bicycle inner tubes. Years of changing skins using thumbtacks will no doubt weaken the wood around the edge. Thubtacks are only need for tricky spots. I can also tell from the sound of the skin when you tap it that it is either dead or you picked too thick of a skin. Dilruba does not need a thick skin, the extra band of skin places underneath or above the main skin will be plenty of protection. Also don't make the skin too taught, it will make the action too high and usually a super tight skin will never relax enough to get the action to lower enough.
It took me a few attempts to get sarangi skinning down. My first try was with a Mid-east junker way back in 8th grade. It's really fun once you get the knack of it. Try to pick up a junker instrument to practice on. It's a valuable skill especially if you live far away from a repair person.

kinderreality

Postby kinderreality » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 pm

You should post this reply on the YT video - I think it would be valuable for people to hear this coming from someone with more experience, also, you might consider making a video of your own, again, I am for maximum sharing of knowledge. Thanks!

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 am

You can find very detailed instructions from Martin Spaink below for reskinning a sarangi, would apply as well to dilrubas- It is quite challenging and has a steep learning curve-

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11800

kinderreality

Postby kinderreality » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 am

right - I came across this and read it thoroughly (after the fact :-) - my concern was for people who don't find their way onto these forums, if you have something to contribute, you should. I have always hoped that my videos would be a starting place for discussion and advancement of knowledge. I know it's kind of a novel stance (that is what I am finding in this stage of my life anyway). But, oh well, you might be too busy to copy and past your comments into the video :-)

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”