very interesting old sarangi!

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

coyootie

very interesting old sarangi!

Post by coyootie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 am

achcha, here's a puzzle. I was just bequeathed this old sarangi, possibly brought form Nepal in the 1970's. See the pix and tell me what you may know or suggest about origin/name!
It's the narrowest one I ever saw.It has its original bow miraculously and I'll rehair it- I just finished refitting several pegs and restringing it.Just fooling around with a cello bow, it has an amazing sound for such a tiny soundbox. I've seen old Nepali 4-string sarangis with lizard skin like this. The very acute angled bridge, with one foot resting on the edge of the resonator, is seen on other various South Asian fiddles. It has the original bridge also, with 7 tarafs at bottom, 2 more in the middle, and 2 gut main strings. I made a nut for it- there wasn't enough wear at the edge of the pegbox to convince me it was originally nut-less and there's not the usual wear/gouges where the main string would be fingered, so I am theorizing it had a fairly high nut to keep mains strings off the tarafs when being fingered/cutickled ( I just made that up).
It had some sort of carving at the top of the pegbox-based on folk sarangis and sarindas, I'd figure a fat bellied bird.I'd like to carve one if I can get a positive ID on this weird sarangi-or what-and if anyone has a similar one or can direct me to a pic of such, please let me know.
so what's the guess? India? Nepal? Himalayan somewheres like Himachal Pradesh, or Bihar?
overall L 20-3/4"
width at body/bridge 2- 5/8"
depth 2- 3/4"
Attachments
sarang3.jpg
sarang3.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
sarang2.jpg
sarang2.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
sarang1.jpg
sarang1.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

coyootie

Re: very interesting old sarangi!

Post by coyootie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:54 am

I showed this to the sarangi master in the Rhythms of Rajasthan group ( they were fantastic!!!) that performed in Albuquerque last weekend. He said it was a Gujaratan sarangi, which is one of the types played by Langa and Manganiyar musicians there.
In doing some fast research, "mangani" dancing girls or prostitutes were associated with this tribe. again the association of sarangis with lowbrow, despised tribes and castes of musicians and dancers. Joep Bor's brilliant essay on the sarangi is the best thing to appear yet on the history and cultural milieu of the sarangi, and gets into this issue deeply.
Many cultures throughout the world have placed musicians, actors, singers etc in a debased class. Although everyone loved performers of various types, they were considered to be wild,loose individuals to be avoided by members of 'genteel classes'. Funny how almost everything enjoyed on the most profound or sensual levels ends up being stigmatised as bad............but nowadays, popular artists are gods,certainly in the western rock arena.any behavior, no matter how outrageous, is OK for them, and they earn astronomical amounts.
when I thanked the Manganiyar performers- along with dozens of other well wishers- they seemed genuinely overwhelmed. I mentioned to one of the musicians that I'd studied sarod with Ali Akbar Khansahib, he said" oh, we are only folk musicians, not classical" , I responded" you guys are the real deal- no need to speak of higher and lower!"

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:47 am

Manganiar.

Sumerlove

Post by Sumerlove » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:46 am

This is very nice and awesome post
I like it very much
Thanks alot...