How to re-skine a Sindhi sarangi?

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

xakebuel

How to re-skine a Sindhi sarangi?

Postby xakebuel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi friends. I have the opportunity of adquiring a old sindhi sarangi. This one have not skin yet and the first I will do is carrying it to a luthier with experiencie in this things. But shindi sarangi is diferent because of it have a little part of the top of the sound box within skin. Could anybody tell me how they make it possible? Is it possible that tese kind of sarangis have a traverse bar of metal sustaining the sking there thought?They cut it after put it? I don know...
Here a sample:
thanks.

peeceebee

Re: How to re-skine a Sindhi sarangi?

Postby peeceebee » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:44 pm

I would cut the skin after it has been glued and dried. I doubt there is any support under the skin, it wouldn't be necessary.

naad_brahma

Re: How to re-skine a Sindhi sarangi?

Postby naad_brahma » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 am

None of mine have an internal support or metal bracket. They also do not have an extra belt of skin. Skin it as usually and use a bicycle inner tube to do so as it will help you get a good grip on the skin. Don't pick too thick of a skin, they are under tension but its a small surface area and they can handle a slight thinner skin compared to classical sarangi.
Are you aware of how to string them and set them up? They are not even remotely close to classical sarangi. I used to play classical sarangi but after some time with Lakha Khan and Sakar Khan I'm obsessed with sindhi sarangi and kamaicha.

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”