How much of an impact do Bows make?

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

arvsingh

How much of an impact do Bows make?

Post by arvsingh » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi, I've been reading a lot on bows lately and how much they can make an impact on playing. Now what I've been reading on was for mainly violins and everyone says a really high quality bow can make a world of difference, that being said, is that also true for Dilruba's and Sarangi's? Also does it matter if I use a cello or bass bow on these said instruments? Would it make a better sound and how it's produced, also do you have any recommendations for any bows to buy? Right now I use a horse hair bow but the bow itself is only decent quality. I've had different bows of lesser quality and this sound makes it sound much better.

OM GUY

Re: How much of an impact do Bows make?

Post by OM GUY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:48 am

My two bows are not very expensive, so I can not honestly compare higher to lower cost bows, what I can offer is this:

On my dilruba, I have seen a difference between horsehair and synthetic bows.
I prefer the synthetic, myself, but that is just me.

Secondly, what I think makes a very big difference is the rosin that one uses on either type of bow. I prefer the dark rosins, applied sparingly.

I'm speaking as a complete novice who has merely dabbled in experimentation. As you can see for yourself, there is quite a price range on both bows and rosins, so I suggest you do more research (and ask questions here).

I've gone to a few local music stores for info, and they don't know anything about dilruba's... :lol:
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

peeceebee

Post by peeceebee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 am

On sarangi, the bow makes a huge impact. No two bows play the same(!!!). In general, a proper sarangi bow will be crisper than a western-style bow on sarangi, as the hairs are higher tension and the bow is stiffer/heavier, giving quite a different playing response.
It is difficult to buy a good sarangi bow. After much searching I bought some ok ones from a dealer in Germany, and have one hand-made by Martin Spaink of amsterdam that is excellent(!) It may be that a good one is easier to acquire in India, I don't know personally.

DrKashyap

Post by DrKashyap » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Sound production & depth modulation are totally controlled by bowing only. Left hand decides only the pitch & partly the phrases. Surprisingly novices are focusing more on left hand speed, grossly neglecting the vital bowing.

Gurpreet

Post by Gurpreet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Bowing is so so so vital. Confidence and flow of a sarangi player i think is shown in his bowing.

aliciarohail

Post by aliciarohail » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:48 am

Hello all, couple of years ago i had bought Sarangi from ebay. I think it is touristic and unplayable type.But, still i want to ask friends here about their idea. I have similar one that is on below the link. Doest it worth for repairing ?( adding bridge and gut strings ).May sound be ok ?

Learn typography and graphics using 642-902 dumps. We offer the complete collection of 220-702 design tutorials and 200-120 braindumps guide to help you become expert in designing.main site visit mcitp braindumps and more visit CISCO Good Luck.