Best Sarangi Players on the ICM scene in 2014

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Kirya

Best Sarangi Players on the ICM scene in 2014

Postby Kirya » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:15 pm

I am trying to identify the best sarangi players on music scene today (alive and still playing at concerts), particularly those who might play as solo performers at a music festival, not just the best accompanists.

I know of Sultan Khan, are there others?

Thanks
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

peeceebee

Re: Best Sarangi Players on the ICM scene in 2014

Postby peeceebee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 am

here are very many excellent saangi players now. Many excellent younger players, and many mature players still with us, way too many to list in all.

chrisitar

Postby chrisitar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:36 am

I'm really impressed with these younger players

Zohaib Hassan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhy1Q07eDg
Murad Ali Khan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EqfWOavLrI

And there are plenty of proper masters out there still: Dhruba Ghosh, Sabri Khan, Ram Narayan, but unfortunately Sultan Khan is no longer with us.
Meend over matter

eshepherd

Postby eshepherd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm

I am currently a student of Zohaib Hassan. In his playing you can hear him continuing the traditions of Ustad Nathu Khan, Ustad Hussain Baksh Khan and the unique techniques of the Amritsari Gharana. A young prodigy, it's very exciting to hear him constantly keep pushing limits and elevating his art.
Here is a track we recorded during his trip out here to Los Angeles in December. We were lucky enough to get some great material recorded and am looking forward to sharing more soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnTXXNknClE

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Ok, here goes: among younger players, Murad Ali, Sabir Khan, Dilshad Khan, Kamal Sabri, B.L.Jhanvar, Harsh Narayan, Farooque Khan, Sarwar Hussain, Ghulam Ali, Pankaj Mishra, Ahsan Ali, Sangeet Mishra, Gul Mohammad, Rafik Ahmed, Yuji Nakagawa, Farukh Khan, Suhail Yusuf Khan, Gouri Bannerji, Aslam Khan, S. Satinderpal Singh, Manon Mani, Zohaib Hassan, to name a few; among more mature players Ghulam Sabir Khan, Dhruba Ghosh, Kumar Mishra, Sabri Khan, Nicholas Magriel, Moinuddin Khan, Ramesh Mishra, Bharat Bhusan Goswami, Asif Ali Khan, Ram Narayan is still with us, Aruna Narayan Kaille, Liyakat Ali Khan, Parashuram Bhandari, Dr, Regula Qureshi, Kishor Datar, Surjeet Singh, among many others.

David Berner

Postby David Berner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 pm

"Best" is a very subjective and broad term. I must say Zohaib Hassan is at the top of my list of active solo sarangi players. His playing has so much passion and energy, there's a certain "fire" to his playing that stands out to me. His lightening fast taans and angular patterns brings to mind his legendary forefathers Ustad Nathu Khan and Ustad Hussain Baksh Amritsari.

Besides the obvious technical points like speed, clarity, and ability to play difficult patterns, there are other aspects to his playing that i love, his unfolding of the alap is masterful, his deep knowledge of raags is rare, the rich tone he gets from his sarangis is inspiring. Whatever he plays sounds so humble yet regal at the same time. His gharana's 4 finger approach lends a great versatility allowing for vocal mimicry and instrumental maneuvers that are specific to the sarangi, unlike most other players that use 3 fingers which lends itself more to just copying the vocals.

Other sarangi players that i regard as some of the best of today include Sarwar Hussain, Dilshad Khan, Murad Ali Khan, and Dhruba Ghosh. And although Lakha Khan plays sindhi sarangi, i'd feel like my response was incomplete if i didn't include him, his instrumental technique is exemplary to say the least.

cmorajkar

Postby cmorajkar » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Hello,

I am fan of sarangi. All sarangi players mention here are my favourite.

Thanks

Nick B

Postby Nick B » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:58 pm

I am currently loving Sarwar Hussain and his playing of rag shree.

DrKashyap

Postby DrKashyap » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 am

List is incomplete without following artists in the front row -

U. Ramzan khan ( recently passed away), U. Moinuddin khan (Indorewale), U. Moinuddin khan (Jaipurwale), U. Roshan Ali.

[Other names in past sarangi players not so glamorous to public at large but highly talented are late U. Mohammad Sagiruddin khan, late Pt. Inderlal Dhandhda & late U. Laddan khan.]

stringtester

Postby stringtester » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Don´t forget the excellent young talent Allarakha Kalavant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5hdH1nVxs

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

stringtester wrote:Don´t forget the excellent young talent Allarakha Kalavant.

He plays wonderfully! I didn't know of him- Thanks!

s1owpoke

Postby s1owpoke » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:58 am

I did not see Kamal Sabri's name in the list so I wanted to add it here :wink:
S1owpoke

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”