Dilruba question (a new tuning question)

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

pulse

Dilruba question (a new tuning question)

Post by pulse » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:56 am

Hi there,

I just bought a second hand Dilruba (Raj Musicals), its hardly been played... and seems in good condition.

I have a small newbie question regading the bridge sitting on the skin. I understand the skin offers some degree of resistance against the pressure of the strings/bridge. Is it normal for the skin to very slighty curve/sink back under the bridge? I guessing this is natural as skin would flex a bit when resitance is placed on it?

Appreciate the help :)

Kind regards,

Anthony
Last edited by pulse on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

naad_brahma

Re: Dilruba question

Post by naad_brahma » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Yes, that's normal and to some degree desirable. If your action is too high your intonation will be off, so a little bit of sinking is good. Ideally when you press a string to a fret you want it to be in tune, and the height of the bridge in relation to skin tension is a huge factor in this.

pulse

Post by pulse » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Dear naad,

Thanks for the response :) great to know. I'm going to start doing some research on tuning... hopefully I can find a website with the correct tuning in western terms (i.e. C4 = middle C) that type of thing. Its such a haunting instrument... a lovely sound. Looking forward to experimenting with it.

Big Thanks!

Anthony

pulse

Post by pulse » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 am

Hi again :)

I've been researching how to tune the Dilruba, There is such a wealth of wonderful information on this site (so a big thanks! :) ).

I just have a real beginners question, and I can understand if there is no exact answer :)

So for the Dilruba you have 4 primary stings going from Right to Left (Ma = F#, Sa = C#, Pa = G#, Sa = C#) and the Jawari and Tarif strings have their relevant tunings. I'm a little unsure which F# to tune to. For example would it be the F# above middle C in western terms? or is there a general rule of thumb to work this out? Also regarding the Jawari and Tarif strings, is there a trick to working out which octave to tune them too? (i.e. Pa = G# would this be above/bellow middle C?)

Many Thanks appreciate any help... love the instrument!

Kind regards,

Anthony

David Russell Watson

Post by David Russell Watson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm

pulse wrote: I just have a real beginners question, and I can understand if there is no exact answer :)
You might already have seen it, but just in case you haven't, there's a lot of info on tuning the dilruba beginning at http://www.chandrakantha.com/articles/i ... cepts.html ,
and even a "quickguide" at http://www.chandrakantha.com/articles/i ... guide.html .

David

pulse

Re: Dilruba question (a new tuning question)

Post by pulse » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Hey David,

Thanks for the response, yes I've been reading through those pages... very useful :)

I'm just a little lost, regarding for example which F# to tune Ma for the Primary strings etc... i.e. is it the F# above/bellow middle C?

Maybe I'm missing something when I'm reading the links... sorry if this is a stupid question.

Many Thanks,

Anthony

David Russell Watson

Post by David Russell Watson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:23 am

pulse wrote: I'm just a little lost, regarding for example which F# to tune Ma for the Primary strings etc... i.e. is it the F# above/bellow middle C?
When there's a dot below the sargam letter, it belongs to the lower octave.

When there's a dot above the sargam letter, it belongs to the upper octave.

When there's no dot at all, it belongs to the middle octave, so 'Ma' or 'M', without any dots, is the first F# above middle C.
pulse wrote:Maybe I'm missing something when I'm reading the links... sorry if this is a stupid question.
There's no such thing ¦·)

David

pulse

Post by pulse » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:34 am

Hey David that is very helpful :)

Thanks for that! I'll look into the tuning and see what I can do :)

Kind regards,

Anthony

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

David Russell Watson

Post by David Russell Watson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 pm

The author of this book has lessons on Youtube too, for a free sample of his style, the first at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVYy0xai8mA

David