Antique sarangi restoration-

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

`hege

Re: Antique sarangi restoration-

Postby `hege » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:04 am

peeceebee I am so envious. Nope. Straight out jealous.
Someday I hope to be worthy, and to have the opportunity to do such a project, on such a well loved instrument.

Great pics, thanks for sharing! May I asked the kind of wood you used to build up the sides?

`hege

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:04 am

For the inside of the pegbox, I used panels of mahogany- the fingerboard was inlayed with a panel of rosewood.

`hege

Postby `hege » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks for that. I did intend to say beautiful choice for the fingerboard.
And when I say great pics, I mean GREAT pics!
`hege

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:14 pm

The finished pics also of course include my treasured bow made by Martin Spaink- the perfect match for this very fine instrument!

DrKashyap

Postby DrKashyap » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:07 pm

@peeceebee, I must say you took a great risk with this sarangi & concluded with perfect logical restoration. The best reward will be its tonal quality..

povster
Site Admin

Postby povster » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:48 am

peeceebee, the transition from Before to After is truly stunning! Were there any particularly sticky surprises you encountered along the way? Really beautifully done!!
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Not really surprises, I could more or less see what needed to be done from the beginning- the challenge was developing good techniques to do each job. I don't have an equipped woodshop, so in some cases had to lay in tools, and there was some hit-and-miss in that, especially for setting in the tarab eyelets well. At first I was going to use a drill press, but it wasn't stable enough with the contours of the sarangi body, I ended up using a dremel tool freehand with a tapered diamond grinding bit. That bit ate ate the hard wood slowly and very evenly, giving great control. Of course each eyelet was a different dimension, each had to be individually fitted-

Esthetically the bridge was an issue- the original bridge was included, and it was in very good shape and very nicely carved, so I wanted to retain it of course, but it is curved in the legs. I don't know if it warped over time, or was originally curved(?). (It is interesting, bone-hard but colored a grained dark brown like coconut shell- don't know what material or process made it like that? I've seen a few similarly colored bridges on very old instruments...) So I ended up setting the leather strap to support the bridge at an angle even though it looks funny, giving the top of the bridge (which is straight) proper alignment, with the bridge feet sitting on the center of the strap.

http://peeceebee.lvha.net/sarangi%20bridge.JPG

stringtester

Postby stringtester » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Amazing work! Very well done!

The walls on this sarangi look quite thinn. My sarangi have a bit thicker walls.
Is there a standard thickness for the walls or not?

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:42 pm

There is no standardization. The soundbox on this one is unusually thin.

kalyan

Postby kalyan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 am

Nice work!! That looks like it will sound great. What a transformation. Was the original bridge perhaps some kind of horn? I have seen dark colored bridges like that that were made from something like buffalo horn, but they are usually much smaller than a sarangi bridge.
Kalyan
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 pm

That possibility was suggested to me by Nicolas Magriel, I have no idea... if so would have come from a very large horn I guess-

It does have amazing tone and resonance- very rich & lively, I'll post a clip when I get a chance-

peeceebee

Postby peeceebee » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”