New Sarangi need help!

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

singhanmol

New Sarangi need help!

Post by singhanmol » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:50 am

Hello, I have always had someone buy strings for sarangi from india for me and i am kind of a novice. My ustaad (teacher) has also moved away so i was hoping to get some advice about best place in north america (Vancouver to be specific) can i buy good gut (harp or otherwise) and sympathetic strings. What company, What size of strings, and if anyone has any recommendation on a new bow, it'll be awesome!!
Also, i am receiving a new sarangi from raj musical, anyone have any recommendations, reviews or anything about their professional model?
Thank You.

peeceebee

Re: New Sarangi need help!

Post by peeceebee » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:46 pm

If you google " sarangi gut strings" you will find many vendors of indian style gut strings, amazon sells them as well. If you prefer harp strings, the can be ordered from here: http://www.harpsetc.com/strings/bow-bra ... _rewrite=1

People use different gauges, i like Sa string - diameter 1.75mm Bow brand no 27 G 4th octave light
Lower Pa string - 2.08 Bow brand no 32 B 5th octave light (no 31 standard is close)
Lower Sa string 2.35 Bow brand no 34 G 5th octave light.

I use a metal flat-wound guitar string on lower Sa, has much better response, .050", or cello string is the same, guitar strings are cheaper.

stringtester

Post by stringtester » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:07 pm

The sound of the traditional indian gut is warm and rich. And the respons is moustly very
good. The problem is to find good quality. You don´t know what gauge you get. And it´s
very often different gauge on the same string.
I found some quite uniform from the Ebay seller Nad sadhna. But it was two sa-strings 1,70-1,75mm. And one low sa-string 2,45-2,50mm. in the set. Mid-east sell single sarangi
gut strings. The one they call medium is for pancham. I bought some and the gauge was
around 2,10mm. - And then! Last time I bought from Nad sadhna the gauge for the first strings was over 1,80 mm.
Because of such problems many sarangi player prefer to use harp-gut instead. It works quite good for the first string. And maybe for the second string. But for the third string
the respons is bad. I have also tested gut strings from Aquila. The sound is more like Indian gut then harp-gut. But maybe not so warm as Indian gut. Another alternativ I have
tested is Pure corde gut strings. The colour and sound is very much like indian gut. The
respons is very good, especially the triple gut. They are very high twisted so not so good
for the first string.
The strings on my sarangi is now. First sa-string indian gut from Nad sadhna 1,70mm.
Second pa-string indian gut from Mid-east around 2,10mm.
Low sa-string Pure corde high twist 2,80mm. Some time I also use the triple gut instead.
The respons is outstanding, but I like the sound better from the high twist. No more need for any cello or guitar string. The pitch is D Sharp. but the gauge also work for D.
But if the pitch is E, I Think it´s better with 2,60mm.

singhanmol

Post by singhanmol » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:22 am

Thank you both for the responses, I just ordered some strings indian gut and harp strings and ill try them all out and see which one works better for me. Also, i have read online that you should gradually increase the pic of the sarangi, I mainly play the first string on D# if the claim about the gradual increase is true, How should i proceed.
Regards,
singhanmol

stringtester

Post by stringtester » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:07 am

From what Company did you buy the indian gut?
Do you have a micrometer? It´s good to have, so you can check what gauges you get.
Yea, I Think it´s best to start in a lower pitch. And gradualy tune higher until you come
up to your favorit D Sharp.
Good luck with tuning and playing.

singhanmol

Post by singhanmol » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 am

Thanks a lot!!
I got the indian gut strings from India, got it shipped with the sarangi. But will keep your suggestion in mind next time i buy more strings.

singhanmol

Post by singhanmol » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:23 am

Finally got the sarangi and set it up!! Sounds great for a new instrument. But the bridge is a bit too high, I know that the skin will start sagging soon but its a bit too painful to play, any suggestions to make this process happen faster?

stringtester

Post by stringtester » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:54 am

The bridge on my sarangi also was to high in the beginning. And after a year it was still
to high up. It was a space between my finger and the fingerboard when I played. Then I was told that the fingertip should touch the fingerboard all the time. So I had to decide if I want to take down the bridge and play with the Nails or rais up the upper bridge and
play with the area between the Nails and curticle. I decided to rais up the upper bridge.
So I made a small woodplate and placed it under the upper bridge. I Think I did the right thing. If you do that let the distans between string and fingerboard still be a bit higher
at high sa. Because the skin will sagg after some time. And when making the woodplate make it very flat so it´s as tight as possible.

Bob4ICM

Post by Bob4ICM » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:08 pm

What gauge / type strings should I use for the tarafdar strings on a Sarangi? Stainless steel, phosphors bronze, or possibly a mix? And if a mix, what gauges?

Thank you