First dilruba?

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

geezerjazz

First dilruba?

Postby geezerjazz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:34 am

I want to buy my first dilruba and have no local dealers. There is a MKS Special dilruba on Amazon sold by Maharaj. There is also a one-piece on Ebay sold by GS Musicals.

Are these safe choices? Thanks very much for you advice,

arvsingh

Re: First dilruba?

Postby arvsingh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:01 am

Hello, I might be some help, if it's a beginner dilruba you are looking for, eBay may be your best choice since there are no local dealers, but if you want to spend the money, I highly recommend raj musicsls, they make really good quality dilrubas and do ship as well.

So I bought my first dilruba on eBay from a dealer called exotic hub, I had make some adjustments on it, such as trimming down the bridge and putting holes in it, using the guide from the creator of this forum. It took a while but at the end it wasn't too bad. Although the quality was just decent, I didn't regret buying that dilruba.

So if you are willing to, I suggest eBay and make adjustments accordingly.
For MKS, I don't have one personally but have played on a few one them, I find they are hit or miss sometimes, I'm personally not a fan of the 6 string method they use as I do use the 2 main string a lot. If they sell a 4 string one, then take a chance if you will. I believe most don't need adjustments, but their quality is only on par.

Hope this helps

geezerjazz

Postby geezerjazz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks very much for your advice. It appears that ordering an instrument from India is a fairly large gamble.

mizrable

Postby mizrable » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:30 pm

i play a 10yr old MKS and i love it.
the new ones are a longer scale and much louder.
ive never played one that was horrible but like any indian instrument things can be pick of the litter.
bow quality matters!
on some of the cheap ones its almost impossible to get any sound at all.
avoid getting an nylon sarangi style bow they are horrible and often come with cheap instruments.

geezerjazz

Postby geezerjazz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 am

mizrable wrote:i play a 10yr old MKS and i love it.
the new ones are a longer scale and much louder.
ive never played one that was horrible but like any indian instrument things can be pick of the litter.
bow quality matters!
on some of the cheap ones its almost impossible to get any sound at all.
avoid getting an nylon sarangi style bow they are horrible and often come with cheap instruments.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have the six-string model? What do you think of the two extra strings?

mizrable

Postby mizrable » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 pm

mine came as a six string but I recut my slots to make it a 4string kharaj pancham setup
baaj -0.012 steel
juri- 0.016 bronze
pancham-0.022 bronze
kharaj-0.025 bronze

having 4 octaves is really nice!

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”