Violinists in the Hindustani Tradition?

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

BWV

Violinists in the Hindustani Tradition?

Postby BWV » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 am

Long been a big fan of L Subramaniam and L Shankar, brothers whose roots are in the Carnatic Tradition

Read somehwhere about a woman named N Ragam who is a Hindustani Violinist

Any other Hindustani violinists?

ragamala

Re: Violinists in the Hindustani Tradition?

Postby ragamala » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:25 am

BWV wrote:Long been a big fan of L Subramaniam and L Shankar, brothers whose roots are in the Carnatic Tradition

Read somehwhere about a woman named N Ragam who is a Hindustani Violinist

Any other Hindustani violinists?

Amongst others, look out for DK Datar, Kala Ramnath, Sangeetha Shankar, Arun Dahanukar and the notable VG Jog.

MS Gopalakrishnan plays Hindustani as well as Carnatic.

A google search on hindustani violin will net quite a few others.

Interestingly the violin is one "hindustani" instrument where a number of women players (including) Dr N Rajam have made a mark.

There is a host of carnatic violinists, not least because of the almost invariable use of violin as accompaniment to vocalists.

cwroyds

Postby cwroyds » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 am

Dont forget Allauddin Khan.
He was a fantastic Hindustani violinist.

I saw a Jugalbandi concert by Jaganathan Ramamoorthy and my teacher.
He is a really interesting Violinist.
Jaganathan Ramamoorthy plays both Carnatic and Hindustani music.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube of him playing.

jaan e kharabat

Postby jaan e kharabat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Gajananrao Joshi was a Hindustani violinist and singer.
If there are just ''six tones'' in an octave [sic] then why have frets for tones that don't exist?

Kanti Dattani

Postby Kanti Dattani » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 pm

In addition to those mentioned in various posting above I also have CDs by Anupriya Deatale Sharma, Kamalbir Singh, T N Krishnan, Santoshkumar Nahar, Prabhakar Dhakde and K Shivakumar. Email kantidattani@aol.com for further details.

Kanti Dattani

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi Kanti

As this was originally posted on the newbies board I kept my answer to some of the main players who could be found on cd - alsomight be mentioned eg Sisirkana Dhar Chowdhury, Mily Bose, Indrayudh Bose, Milind Raikar, Satya Dev Pawar.

I wasn't aware T N Krishnan dabbled in Hindustani. Maybe there are some jugalbandi with Hindustani but I'd be interested if you have anything from him solo Hindustani?

Kanti Dattani

Postby Kanti Dattani » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:21 am

>>Ragmala writes
>>I wasn't aware T N Krishnan dabbled in Hindustani. Maybe there are some
>> jugalbandhi with Hindustani but I'd be interested if you have anything from
>> him solo Hindustani?

Hi Ragmala

Just checked; no, I don't have any 'solo Hindustani' by the great T N Krishnan.
What I have is his Jugalbandhi CD with Amjad Ali, PSLP5432, a CD with N Rajam AAMS140 and a Carnatic CD C91017. I am sure a knowledgeable musician like yourself know all about these CDs and many more.

Kanti Dattani

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:52 am

Kanti Dattani wrote:>>Just checked; no, I don't have any 'solo Hindustani' by the great T N Krishnan.
What I have is his Jugalbandhi CD with Amjad Ali, PSLP5432, a CD with N Rajam AAMS140 and a Carnatic CD C91017. I am sure a knowledgeable musician like yourself know all about these CDs and many more.

Kanti Dattani

Dear Kanti

You flatter me - knowledgeable? - at best a modest extent - musician? at best an ex-amateur. But thanks for checking - like you I enjoy listening a lot, but my collection/knowledge hardly matches your cd collection and the info you have on it.

Re the cds you mention the only one I was aware of was the Amjad Ali Khan jugalbandhi, as it appeared on Music India Online some time ago. Amjad seems to play alone though on the one real hindustani raga.

Re T N Krishnan I saw him once at Chennai and was very much impressed. There are some live recordings of his concerts available on sangeethapriya if anyone wants to hear this master. Also there - a couple of jugalbandhi concerts with N Ramani (flute) and N Rajam. I haven't checked these out but suspect she plays in hindustani style, although I understand she started off in the carnatic tradition.

BTW there were a couple of jugalbandhi cassettes released of Shahid Parvez with Faiyaz Hussain Khan (hindustani violin). I understand SP plays concerts with carnatic violinists sometimes.

Hamletsghost

Postby Hamletsghost » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:36 am

Recently Gaurav Mazumdar was on tour with Lalgudi GJR Krishnan, doing a Hindustani - Carnatic jugalbandi tour. When they were in Indianapolis they performed the first set of Kirwani followed by Bihag. Second set they opened with a Bhajan of Vaishnava Janato in Khamaj then finished with Sindhu - Bhaimavi to a dadra 6 beat. WHAT A SHOW. :!: I wish I had been running the board for them as I could have made a decent recording. I was only able to perform their soundcheck for them & get them dialed in - but it wasn't my hall - equipment or show unfortunately.
I have worked with the father Lalgudi GJR Jayram - as well as Krishnan & his sister a couple times - But these were strictly Carnatic shows (what a family of violinists) The only exception was when I ran sound for the three of them performing together at a concert set up to honor my friend, partner, teacher Patric Marks in Chicago years ago. They played mostly carnatic but did throw in some lighter pieces I assume were Hindustani for Patrics benefit. This was probably 15 years ago and I was much less familiar with the "types & names" of certain pieces of music I would have to scour my tape archives to be sure.
So I guess this says yes it happens & is happening more & more - Lets hope they start laying down these tracks and authorising them for release.

Hamletsghost 8)
PEACE THRU MUSIC
Larry Darrell LIVES!

pumpik

Postby pumpik » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 pm

BWV

"Read somehwhere about a woman named N Ragam who is a Hindustani Violinist"

Dr N Rajam (not Ragam) is one of the most prominent violinists in India. She is the mother of Sangeeta Shankar, another great violinist. Dr Rajam comes from a family of violinists, each greater than the other.

What makes Dr Rajam very special is her command over both the Hindustani and the Carnatic styles of music. She is also the originator of the "gayaki ang" of violin playing. Violin being an instrument that comes very close to the human voice, she developed this style that sounds as if it is a human voice singing. Dr Rajam was the head of the music department at the Banaras University.

I have had the good fortune to be present at a Sawai Gandharva performance of Dr Rajam in the late 70s/early 80s (I think). She was accompanied by Sangeeta and presented one of the finest Yamans I have heard.

BWV

Postby BWV » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm

pumpik wrote:BWV

"Read somehwhere about a woman named N Ragam who is a Hindustani Violinist"

Dr N Rajam (not Ragam) is one of the most prominent violinists in India. She is the mother of Sangeeta Shankar, another great violinist. Dr Rajam comes from a family of violinists, each greater than the other.

What makes Dr Rajam very special is her command over both the Hindustani and the Carnatic styles of music. She is also the originator of the "gayaki ang" of violin playing. Violin being an instrument that comes very close to the human voice, she developed this style that sounds as if it is a human voice singing. Dr Rajam was the head of the music department at the Banaras University.

I have had the good fortune to be present at a Sawai Gandharva performance of Dr Rajam in the late 70s/early 80s (I think). She was accompanied by Sangeeta and presented one of the finest Yamans I have heard.

I got the Radiant disc - and the Raag Malkauns is qute stunning

barend

Postby barend » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:01 pm

In India I saw N Rajam performing and also Kala Ramnath. Both are truly amazing! I really like hindustanic violin. Especially the gayaki style.

pumpik

Postby pumpik » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 am

Kala Ramnath is also from the same family of violinists. They are three generations of the some of the world's best violinists in the same family.

spundana

Postby spundana » Thu May 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Dear Friends, I am amazed at the number of queries and responses on this thread. Indeed, there are tons of Hindustani Violinists starting from the Late Gajananrao Joshi (Also known fondly amidst musicians as Gajananbua) and Arun Vakeel (Jabalpur) Then Pandit D K Datar, Late VG Jog saheb. I am a direct disciple of Dr. N. Rajam, who has pioneered and established the 'Gaayaki-ang' style in Hindustani music on Violin. Kala Ramnath and Sangeeta Shankar are my Guru-bhaginis and even Sangeeta's daughters Ragini and Nandini are being trained in this rare style by Rajam madam ji.

Yes, M S Gopalakrishnan is another legendary Violinist who plays Hindustani style too and he follows both Kiraanaa and Gwalior Gharanas. One violinist who played HM in this Baani is named 'Ratnakar Gokhale' from AIR, Pune. Another promising Violinist from Indore/ Bhopal region is Praveen Shivlikar, who was liked by Rajam ji very much when he was a young boy. Then there is Shailendra Janardhan - bro of Rajeev Janardhan who is 'Bimal Mukherji's disciple' Shailendra plays in the MSG style as well.

About me? www.fiddlemaestro.com and http://youtube.com/jaganperfect
Dr. Sisir Kana Dhar Choudhury is also a very senior Violinist in the Ali Akbar Khan style of Violin playing. There was also another girl named Smita Devtaale who used to learn HM on Violin from Ustad Amjad Ali khan.

Best wishes,
Jagan Ramamoorthy
MFA- CalArts, Durfee Master Musician Fellow.
Los Angeles, CA>

cwroyds

Postby cwroyds » Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Jagan,

I saw you play in Los Angeles with my teacher Paul Livingstone.
The concert was really great.
It was so interesting to hear the violin in a Hindustani Jugalbandi.
Let us know if you give any concerts in LA in the future.
I would love to come.

Carleton

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”