Sarangi Makers

This is for discussions about sarangi, dilruba, esraj, or any bowed instrument used in India

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Dhani_

Sarangi Makers

Postby Dhani_ » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 am

Hi,

Does anyone know any companies/craftsmen who specialize in making sarangis? Even better, does anyone know a place where I can get a left-handed sarangi? I have not yet been able to find a website which sells such instruments, but then again most Indian music websites don't have a very high Google ranking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dhani

rajpuranik

Re: Sarangi Makers

Postby rajpuranik » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 pm

I was told by a knowledgeable sarangi musician in Mumbai that the best sarangis come from Delhi - that's where my contact sends his for repair - so at least you can narrow your search. I'll see if I can get a specific maker's name and contact.
Raj Puranik
http://worldmusicguru.com
Learn music online

tablafreak

Postby tablafreak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:38 am

The best sarangis are very old sarangis and not new ones - Regardless of the maker.
youtube.com/tablasolo

DrKashyap

Postby DrKashyap » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 am

Very true !

rajpuranik

Postby rajpuranik » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 pm

tablafreak wrote:The best sarangis are very old sarangis and not new ones - Regardless of the maker.

Is this because they are old, or because they don't make them like they used to? :)
Raj Puranik
http://worldmusicguru.com
Learn music online

Dhani_

Postby Dhani_ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:29 am

Maybe if the sarangi is exceptionally well made? Although, from the new sarangis I've tried,($500+ though they may be) it sounds like Raj has a point.

I have a sarangi which is about 150 years old, and sounds incredible, But even though I've restrung it I find it slightly awkward reaching my wrist over the sympathetic pegs. I'm trying to get used to stopping the string with my left hand, but any suggestions would be nice.

Dhani

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:41 am

Dhani_ wrote:........ I find it slightly awkward reaching my wrist over the sympathetic pegs. I'm trying to get used to stopping the string with my left hand, but any suggestions would be nice.

Dhani

You've been trying to play a standard sarangi stopping the strings with the right hand??

This is totally impossible!???

Dhani_

Postby Dhani_ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Yes, I think I'm starting to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Still, I've made some reasonably decent recordings and have strung the sarangi in a way that facilitates my unconventional style. Right now I'm recording an extremely large collection of sarangi lehras for tabla practice, and they're coming out well.

Malik

Postby Malik » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 pm

That's really cool, Dhani. Someday, maybe you can post a youtube video so we can see the right-handed approach. Have you tried playing the more usual style, or is it exceedingly difficult to hold the bow with the left hand?

Gotta agree- the older wood is definitely a factor in clarity of sound and overall volume. I have an old one and a new one. The new one, though made undoubtebly well, still has some time to age before the notes are clear.

The old one looks pretty beat, but has "the million dollar sound". :wink:

I think Meerut was considered one of the best cities for sarangi-making. I don't know if that remains true, but my sarangi was a custom-job from Delhi. DMS Musicals/Inni Singh.

It's a very well-designed sarangi and sounded good "out of the box".

I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you, though it might be a bit more expensive than the standard right-handed model. (I paid, I think, 460.00 shipped for my sarangi, made of teakwood with a fiberglass case)

Only thing to be wary of is time. It took close to a year and some heavy-handed conversations to get the instrument.

It was kind of Zen, though- once I had given up the idea of getting it, it was sitting on my porch a week later.

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 am

Dhani_ wrote:Yes, I think I'm starting to get carpal tunnel syndrome.

Not surprised! But brave of you to try.

The main reason you absolutely need to play the sarangi stopping with the left hand fingers, in my opinion, is the support the left hand side of the sarangi gives the left hand. With the palm of the hand against the side board, you not only have the necessary support and anchor, but a (becomes subconscious) guide to location of the hand on the instrument, to help with intonation.

And you would severely miss the fingerboard for playing the main string, no?

I can only think, as a comparison with playing the sarangi "wrong" way round, of a difficulties a thumbless player would have trying to play sitar!

Over many years it has been usual for many violin players to play "normally", although I believe there are left-hand violins on offer these days I've yet to see a player playing left-handed in an orchestra.

Regarding getting a left-handed sarangi built my fear would bethat it would just be too difficult and expensive - even if possible -, and bearing in mind the difficulty of getting even what people think of as a good new standard sarangi, I would hesitate to recommend that route...

Best
Alan

spoutmouth

Postby spoutmouth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm

@Dhani_

Very interesting.
I'm not sure why you would want to change the layout and playing of the Sarangi for left hand playing...perhaps I am being a little slow.... :oops:
I use my non-dominant left hand to do most of the fingering - a lot of the precise manual dexterity and fine motor-skills involved in playing.
Would it not be an advantage to you to use your left hand for this task?
And therefore have your instrument in the 'traditional' position and not require a custom made instrument?
Forgive me if I am slow on the uptake....

M

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 am

Dhani_ wrote:Right now I'm recording an extremely large collection of sarangi lehras for tabla practice, and they're coming out well.

Why don't you share some samples of this for us so we can make more constructive comments? Or otherwise, of course :!: :twisted:

If, as your post on the tabla forum states you are doing this as part of a commercial enterprise, I would have thought it helpful to have some comment at an early stage.

7Fives

Postby 7Fives » Tue May 31, 2011 6:22 pm

tablafreak wrote:The best sarangis are very old sarangis and not new ones - Regardless of the maker.
In addition, only very old violins such as strad are good ones. All the newer ones are junk, regardless of the maker.

pritlee

Postby pritlee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

i know a srangi maker in Meerut in India....let me know if you still need one making

westsea

Postby westsea » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Altab Mehboob Sitarmaker, Miraj, India, is highly skilled in making Sarangis.
He uses methods that have been handed down for generations.
His work is outstanding.
He can be contacted via email:
muskan_22121 at yahoo.co.in (at = @)

Return to “VITAT (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, Etc)”