BOLSCRIPT for entering, displaying, managing tabla compositi

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

pbercker

BOLSCRIPT for entering, displaying, managing tabla compositi

Postby pbercker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I found a very cool and useful (and free) software application called BOLSCRIPT for entering, displaying, managing tabla compositions at ...

https://code.google.com/p/bolscript/

Just to give you an idea as to what it can do, here's an example:

This is what I typed in the editor ...

Gat theme:
2! ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka ta ka dhi ne gi ne
ta ka 3 dhin - 2! dha - ghi re2 ne ga ti re ki te ta ka ta ka dhi ne gi ne
ta ka ta ka ti ne ki ne ta ka ta ka ti re ki te ta ka ta ka ti ne ki ne
dhi ne gi ne dhi ne gi ne dhi ne ge ne dhi ne ghi re2 ne ga ta ka ti ne ki ne

Not very pretty to look at ... (never mind the numbers for now)... but this is what I got in the formatted window ...

farukhabad gat.JPG
formatted gat
farukhabad gat.JPG (38.92 KiB) Viewed 403 times

and with a click of a button I can also get ...

farukhabad gat devnagri.JPG
gat in devnagri
farukhabad gat devnagri.JPG (35.07 KiB) Viewed 403 times

and if that looks familiar, it's because it's one of the Farukhabad Gats that I'm using as translation exercises while learning Devnagri! Specifically it was this one ...
Attachments
farukhabad gat original.JPG
original gat
farukhabad gat original.JPG (31.89 KiB) Viewed 403 times
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.

TablaBeatz

Re: BOLSCRIPT for entering, displaying, managing tabla compo

Postby TablaBeatz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:31 am

Impressive

And useful I suppose it you have horrribly formatted compositions

What do the numbers mean ? If you have to assign numbers in the horribly formatted compositions so the software will work - could be time consuming right?

Resultant output looks great though!
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."

pbercker

Postby pbercker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:08 am

TablaBeatz wrote:Impressive

And useful I suppose it you have horrribly formatted compositions

What do the numbers mean ? If you have to assign numbers in the horribly formatted compositions so the software will work - could be time consuming right?

Resultant output looks great though!

Even if not horribly formatted, people often have their own way of writing compositions down which may - or may not - be transparent to others. This is a way of enforcing a uniform standard. Moreover, once the theme for a kaida is written, the editor makes it very easy to write variations without constantly repeating the various bits that must be repeated with a semi-automated copy-paste operation that makes combining and recombining various elements of the theme very easy.

Another feature of this editor is that it makes it very easy to trade compositions with others who use the same editor since each composition is stored as an individual .txt file that can just be emailed.

Pascal
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.

pbercker

Postby pbercker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Any Java developers interested in further development of the BOLSCRIPT software?

I'm trying top persuade the original developer of BOLSCRIPT to develop it further, but he is not inclined to develop it further unless he can find someone else to collaborate with him ... it would be nice to find someone in this forum who's also a Java programmer who might be interested in adding some more functionality to this software ... perhaps with some useful input from members of the tabla forum about what kind of features might be nice to have.

If interested, please PM me. Thanks.

Pascal

dhatitdha

Re: BOLSCRIPT for entering, displaying, managing tabla compositi

Postby dhatitdha » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Here is one more web software to write & play Tabla compositions. It is easy & amazing

http://vishwamohini.com/music/home.php

Return to “TABLA”