Your very important problem

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Aadil

Re: Your very important problem

Postby Aadil » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Online live concerts is an interesting idea. http://www.sangeetsabha.com/ live streams of a lot of its concerts.

I'm not sure of collective tabla practice. To me practice has always been a solo effort and most of us I'm sure have enough practice material to last a few lifetimes! Multiple tabla players at varying skill levels playing together is an interesting experience, but not sure of the benefit unless there is a pre-decided theme and senior player chairing it. You could start by doing a google hangout with a few people and see if that adds any value.

RobertMaya

Postby RobertMaya » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:52 am

Hello All:

I had the same problem growing up learning tabla; I had nobody to practice with or accompany. Nowadays, Indian classical music is relatively established in the US, but the issue - as many have noticed and mentioned - is that they live in pockets around the country. I am currently in the process of building a website and starting a program that will help people who don't have the luxury of living in such circles. Hopefully, I'll post something in the coming weeks (an update or better yet a beta), but with college...

Cheers,
Robert

swarmanttra

Postby swarmanttra » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Aadil wrote:Online live concerts is an interesting idea. http://www.sangeetsabha.com/ live streams of a lot of its concerts.

I'm not sure of collective tabla practice. To me practice has always been a solo effort and most of us I'm sure have enough practice material to last a few lifetimes! Multiple tabla players at varying skill levels playing together is an interesting experience, but not sure of the benefit unless there is a pre-decided theme and senior player chairing it. You could start by doing a google hangout with a few people and see if that adds any value.

Hello aadil this is very interesting site
for more tabla practice tips you can refer http://www.swarmanttra.com/tips/practic ... a-playing/
hope it will usefull to you.

RobertMaya

Postby RobertMaya » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 am

Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac iOS. Don't worry: many online collaboration softwares have been built already, and frankly, they're better than a year of my efforts. In response, have piloted a program, IMU (Indian Musicians United, pronounced like the flightless bird) in a few cities in Southern Cali where I live. It's basically an organization that encourages serious musicianship (sharing articles and formal recordings, player profiles (a link-dhin, if you will)) which is what people like me lacked when we were growing up and trying to break our plateus. Forums are fine to a certain extent. However, IMU would like to foster the collaboration, creation, and display of great Indian music - in other words, consolidate Indian musicians in a particular area and connect them with other people, and then give those people a tangible platform to share their music. The tools for online collaboration already exist; my program seeks to effectively organize and maximize its usage.

I'm about 70% of the way done with the website, databases, forum, etc. - but with winter quarter just starting, we'll see how soon I can get a beta out there.

Best,
Robert Maya

RobertMaya

Postby RobertMaya » Sat May 14, 2016 7:18 am

Hi, sorry about the website stuff - school got busy and I just don't have the time to finish coding it up (I spilled chai on my laptop so it's pretty much all gone along with 900 bucks... :oops: ) I have tried Jamkazam.com, which if you have a mic or a set of headphones (I just use the standard apple earbuds), works reasonably well. It's not compatible with windows 10, however, but if you have a mac or something else, it should be pretty nice. The better your equipment, the nicer it will sound. Skype is horrendous :cry: You can try, but in my experience accompanying a singer there was a full beat of lag, speeding up, slowing down, cutting of audio, and other problems that make collabs impossible.

RobertMaya

Postby RobertMaya » Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am

Yes of course; Jamkazam was created as a musician to musician collaboration site. Latency is partially dependent on your equipment. As a tabla player casually accompanying a few friends, it worked just fine.

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:14 am

JamKazam is pretty amazing for the small amount of effort put into producing it
They seem to have hit the proverbial nail on its head in deciding it's features
The only thing missing is an iOS/Android version which would make it more relevant
Perhaps they don't realize that these smartphone platforms are just as full-featured as their PC counterparts
in terms of what you can do with the sound system

Another similar streaming platform, slightly older, is by RealNetworks

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 pm

I think it would be casually worthwhile
if we broached the idea of collaborative tabla sessions across the internet
using a solution such as JamKazam
with some famous, well known tabla personalities
specially some of the more progressive ones
such as Ustad Zakir Hussain
If we got them behind this it would serve as wind in its sails

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:17 pm

There is a new movement amongst the community that patronizes tabla
(of which this message board is a part)
that seeks to make tabla more accessible as an instrument to learn for students interested in music.
As we all know, from our early years of practice,
tabla takes a long time and patience to learn
which causes many students to drop off -- only a few survive the early boredom of the steep learning curve.
Also, unlike other forms of Indian Classical Music,
tabla can easily be applied to informal settings of music
where the fact that it can be critically tuned gives it a significant quality advantage over dholak or other simpler drums.
Given, this, we seek to simplify the instruction and learning process of tabla
to make it more accessible to the curious
and to signiicantly increase the number of people that play it.
The process involves redesigning the instruction approach
around a more casual and discovery based method
than the more formal, rote based methods that exist today.
We seek proposals on how this could be done.

Return to “TABLA”