Your very important problem

Discussions about the Indian percussive instruments.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Aadil

Re: Your very important problem

Post by Aadil » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Online live concerts is an interesting idea. http://www.sangeetsabha.com/ live streams of a lot of its concerts.

I'm not sure of collective tabla practice. To me practice has always been a solo effort and most of us I'm sure have enough practice material to last a few lifetimes! Multiple tabla players at varying skill levels playing together is an interesting experience, but not sure of the benefit unless there is a pre-decided theme and senior player chairing it. You could start by doing a google hangout with a few people and see if that adds any value.

RobertMaya

Post by RobertMaya » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:52 am

Hello All:

I had the same problem growing up learning tabla; I had nobody to practice with or accompany. Nowadays, Indian classical music is relatively established in the US, but the issue - as many have noticed and mentioned - is that they live in pockets around the country. I am currently in the process of building a website and starting a program that will help people who don't have the luxury of living in such circles. Hopefully, I'll post something in the coming weeks (an update or better yet a beta), but with college...

Cheers,
Robert

swarmanttra

Post by swarmanttra » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Aadil wrote:Online live concerts is an interesting idea. http://www.sangeetsabha.com/ live streams of a lot of its concerts.

I'm not sure of collective tabla practice. To me practice has always been a solo effort and most of us I'm sure have enough practice material to last a few lifetimes! Multiple tabla players at varying skill levels playing together is an interesting experience, but not sure of the benefit unless there is a pre-decided theme and senior player chairing it. You could start by doing a google hangout with a few people and see if that adds any value.
Hello aadil this is very interesting site
for more tabla practice tips you can refer http://www.swarmanttra.com/tips/practic ... a-playing/
hope it will usefull to you.

RobertMaya

Post by RobertMaya » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 am

Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac iOS. Don't worry: many online collaboration softwares have been built already, and frankly, they're better than a year of my efforts. In response, have piloted a program, IMU (Indian Musicians United, pronounced like the flightless bird) in a few cities in Southern Cali where I live. It's basically an organization that encourages serious musicianship (sharing articles and formal recordings, player profiles (a link-dhin, if you will)) which is what people like me lacked when we were growing up and trying to break our plateus. Forums are fine to a certain extent. However, IMU would like to foster the collaboration, creation, and display of great Indian music - in other words, consolidate Indian musicians in a particular area and connect them with other people, and then give those people a tangible platform to share their music. The tools for online collaboration already exist; my program seeks to effectively organize and maximize its usage.

I'm about 70% of the way done with the website, databases, forum, etc. - but with winter quarter just starting, we'll see how soon I can get a beta out there.

Best,
Robert Maya

RobertMaya

Post by RobertMaya » Sat May 14, 2016 7:18 am

Hi, sorry about the website stuff - school got busy and I just don't have the time to finish coding it up (I spilled chai on my laptop so it's pretty much all gone along with 900 bucks... :oops: ) I have tried Jamkazam.com, which if you have a mic or a set of headphones (I just use the standard apple earbuds), works reasonably well. It's not compatible with windows 10, however, but if you have a mac or something else, it should be pretty nice. The better your equipment, the nicer it will sound. Skype is horrendous :cry: You can try, but in my experience accompanying a singer there was a full beat of lag, speeding up, slowing down, cutting of audio, and other problems that make collabs impossible.

RobertMaya

Post by RobertMaya » Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am

Yes of course; Jamkazam was created as a musician to musician collaboration site. Latency is partially dependent on your equipment. As a tabla player casually accompanying a few friends, it worked just fine.