Lahara/metronome app for andriod

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

xavxav8

Lahara/metronome app for andriod

Postby xavxav8 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:39 pm

Anyone know of one? My tabla teacher has an iphone with a really nice app but andriod from what I found does not. Anyone have an app they like?

xavxav8

Re: Lahara/metronome app for andriod

Postby xavxav8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 am

I downloaded the free version because the full one is 20 dollars and is only 3 stars. But thank you!

Aadil

Postby Aadil » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 pm

I recently purchased LehraStudio on android and it beats all other apps including Swarshala etc by a good margin. Well worth the money.

I don't think it has a metronome though. For me its not a big deal since I find the tick-tock of a metronome distracting and prefer just the lehra for practice.

Let us know your review on what you end up using .

Cheers

xavxav8

Postby xavxav8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:45 pm

I'll check that out too

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:28 pm

LehraBox, for only $5, would be my recommendation right now. It is all midi sounds, which obviously do not sound great, but it works really well, has a great interface, and has great features for practice (can double/half the tempo with one button, can add metronome clicks in different jatis, etc)

LehraStudio is easily the best sounding app around - it is all live instruments and they are gorgeous. But I'm holding off on recommending this to my students and everyone else because even the pro version - which costs $35 I believe - is still missing some BASIC features. It does not have a built-in metronome, the interface for easily changing tempo is not nearly as good as LehraBox's, and worst of all, it does not offer lehras in every pitch. If I want to practice a metrically complex composition along with an internal metronome or if I just want to practice with my G tabla, I will therefore end up using the $5 LehraBox app instead of the $35 LehraStudio Pro.

If LehraStudio fixes these shortcomings it will easily be the best app out there - unfortunately I do not know whether they are a priority for the developer or not, so for now I'm telling my students to use LehraBox and wait.
Love All, Serve All

xavxav8

Postby xavxav8 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:50 pm

That sounds by far the best for what I want

singhhh_ap

Postby singhhh_ap » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:03 pm

LehraBox's performance is good but the sound is horrible. I am testing Riyaz Studio Lehra which you can install on Windows laptop and it's working fine but I am not that impress with it. The Lehras are good for TeenTaal but other than that they have very few melodies for other Taals.

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:22 am

singhhh_ap wrote:LehraBox's performance is good but the sound is horrible.

Agreed - it sounds very electronic. However, it commendably serves its purpose as a practice tool. It certainly FEELS nicer to play with a better-sounding lehra (e.g. Lehra Studio), but if I want to practice one of my Guruji's complicated poly-metric compositions, I would much rather have Lehrabox's useful metronome that can click in tisra jati or mishra jati. On stage, I will be using live accompaniment in any case.

Of course, if LehraStudio does implement these features and add Lehra's in the missing pitches, I will wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone willing to spend the money.
Love All, Serve All

singhhh_ap

Postby singhhh_ap » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Vivek,

I agree with you.

Regards,

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks for your response Aman ji - I am glad to hear that some of the features I mentioned are being implemented (if slowly). I did not mean to suggest that they were "basic" with regards to the effort involved in realizing them, but rather that they are features easily found in inexpensive "basic" apps.

I hope my review of your product was fair - I stated honestly that 1) it sounds better - by leaps and bounds - than anything else on the market right now. 2) It does not yet have the same functionality as less expensive apps that are available. For purely practice purposes, I have to prioritize functionality over sound quality. I have personally bought the full version of Lehra studio and love the sound quality, but I am holding off on recommending it until it is fully-featured.

I hope you do not think this assessment is unfair, or shows a lack of understanding. I have minimal programming experience myself, but certainly enough to appreciate the difficulty involved in your project. Although it may sometimes benefit programmers/developers to remember that the practical needs of their customers should always come first.

Another example would be how certain lehra's have a slight delay/hiccup in the timing. Such timing nuances are a natural part of real-life playing, and would not be a problem at all in a live performance. However, when using a loop, the same delay/hiccup happens during EVERY cycle, and then it becomes VERY distracting. Of course - MIDI loops don't have to deal with that challenge, but your live loops do. I can appreciate the fact that your challenge is much greater, but at the end of the day I also will not practice with the loops that have those timing issues.
Love All, Serve All

xavxav8

Postby xavxav8 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Vivek wrote:LehraBox, for only $5, would be my recommendation right now. It is all midi sounds, which obviously do not sound great, but it works really well, has a great interface, and has great features for practice (can double/half the tempo with one button, can add metronome clicks in different jatis, etc)

LehraStudio is easily the best sounding app around - it is all live instruments and they are gorgeous. But I'm holding off on recommending this to my students and everyone else because even the pro version - which costs $35 I believe - is still missing some BASIC features. It does not have a built-in metronome, the interface for easily changing tempo is not nearly as good as LehraBox's, and worst of all, it does not offer lehras in every pitch. If I want to practice a metrically complex composition along with an internal metronome or if I just want to practice with my G tabla, I will therefore end up using the $5 LehraBox app instead of the $35 LehraStudio Pro.

If LehraStudio fixes these shortcomings it will easily be the best app out there - unfortunately I do not know whether they are a priority for the developer or not, so for now I'm telling my students to use LehraBox and wait.

Ok so I got LehraBox and think that it does the job for me but when I was tuning my tabla I left on just the tanpura and I noticed that it loops. Not only that but has a gap in the loop large enough to land a plane in. So other than that I have no real qualms about the app. The tempo interface could be better as well.

Return to “TABLA”