kete diri?

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

jaysitar22

kete diri?

Postby jaysitar22 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 pm

I made a complete copy of Vintage Tabla Repertory via the library, and the UPS Store, wow I'm a tabla nerd.
But exercise #18 is,
(diri kete tage)x2 diri kete
The last part (diri kete) doesn't seem to flow into the beginning of the phrase,
does this tabla formula occur, kete followed by diri, maybe it's a copy error? If this phrase is correct does anybody have tips on how to play kete followed by diri? Im sure if one practiced the phrase enough it would happen.

I found that playing,
(diri kete tage)x2 diri diri, seemed to work.
What do you think?
"If a man follows the mind given him and makes it his teacher, then who can be without a teacher?"
“To be truly ignorant, be content with your own knowledge.”
-Chuang Tzu

evening84

Re: kete diri?

Postby evening84 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Sometimes it is as simple as rewriting the pattern in matras and the whole thing gets sorted out (presumably because the recitation may then become more in line with the intended flow).

So in this case, try saying it out loud and then playing :
Dirikite Tagediri Kitetage Dirikite
My karma ran over your dogma
http://evening84.blogspot.com/

jaysitar22

Postby jaysitar22 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I understand the rhythm, it is a 3+3+2, and conceptually diri kete makes sense with the progression of the phrase, but I meant the actual physical flow of playing the lick. Going from a kete with 234 of the RH in the middle of the sihayi to then moving up for the diri on the first beat on the outside of the hand seems very tough to do in speed. So I thought maybe the phrase could conclude with diri diri so it leads better into the 1st beat diri, That is if you loop the exercise, in isolation it works fine. So I curious am if the configuration diri kete diri shows up in the tabla language?
"If a man follows the mind given him and makes it his teacher, then who can be without a teacher?"
“To be truly ignorant, be content with your own knowledge.”
-Chuang Tzu

Benarsidass

Postby Benarsidass » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm

You do find this phrase but it's a very tough one to pull off. You find it in compositions like

dheradhera kitatakta dha-tira kitadhera

dheradhera kitataka ta-tira kitataka

You have to double your dayan stroke, going from ta in kita (or te in kete) straight into dheradhera. You end up playing ta (in kita) far forward on the syahi so that your hand is in position to play dhera afterwards. Very tough bol, and somewhat rare. I wouldn't worry about it unless your dheradhera is already solid.

There's a common shortcut for that line: dha-tira kitadhera becomes dha-tira kitaghera

Your substitution sounds fine to me, by the way.

tablataal

Postby tablataal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 pm

wow what librabry holds this book. it seems pretty rare.

RobertMaya

Postby RobertMaya » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:58 am

Agree that this phrase is difficult and I'd go so far as to say that it's almost unplayable at superfast speeds cleanly. So that got me thinking: if tite + ga = dhite; then tira kita + ge = dhirakita?

Hm...I'd probably play that and hope I can get away with it. Also, do you mind sharing that copy you made :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Robert

Return to “TABLA”