Nylon Straps

Discussions about the Indian percussive instruments.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

xavxav8

Nylon Straps

Post by xavxav8 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 am

I finally did it. I sprung for nylon straps and boy did they make a difference. Now they came with their own set of problems like not wanting to get through the holes on the rim.(A fix I found is cut the strap like you do with the traditional lashing then use a lighter to solidify the edges). The other thing I noticed was that in order to get tension you have to work a little harder. So I have three straps on my pegs. Not sure if thats a big deal but it works. Just thought everyone would be interested.

dhrona

Re: Nylon Straps

Post by dhrona » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi,
Where did you buy them from? Are these one from the Trans Tabla site? They are selling only the Polyester and Vectran one's now. Does it make the tuning and reheading job easier?

Regards
Dhrona

RobertMaya

Post by RobertMaya » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:26 pm

I literally went to my local outdoors shop (REI) and bought around 55 feet of flat nylon tubing for rock climbing. It's less stiff than rawhide so it's easier to pull through and maneuver. I wouldn't use it for my tabla just because I like the grip of the rawhide on the dowels, but for bayan I can't think of a significant reason against switching.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi all,

Personally, I've never been a fan of nylon. It's definitely easier to work with, but it doesn't have that little bit of stretch that the rawhide has, which aids in the pulling process (at least, it does for me). The grip on the dowels, as Robert mentioned, can also sometimes be an issue.

For the baya, I prefer cotton rope and metal rings. Traditional Benares style. :)

Shawn
Shawn Mativetsky
http://www.shawnmativetsky.com
http://www.twitter.com/tablamontreal
http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal

xavxav8

Post by xavxav8 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:45 am

dhrona wrote:Hi,
Where did you buy them from? Are these one from the Trans Tabla site? They are selling only the Polyester and Vectran one's now. Does it make the tuning and reheading job easier?

Regards
Dhrona
Kala Kendar. I cannot stress engough once you start working with the nylon you might not want to ever go back.

VNO Design

Post by VNO Design » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:53 pm

We just stopped selling the Nylon because it's inferior to Polyester in terms of longevity and stretch. Many people use it with no issues, but it was just a simplification process for what we stock. It may be expensive, but Vectran is unlike anything you've ever seen, and it performs magically. The stretch in rawhide strap is exactly what you want to avoid if you like Tablas that stay in tune and don't need to be re-pulled often. If you were to install a new head with rawhide, it's unavoidable to not have to pull the head up to tension 2 or 3 more times after the initial tightening. This is not to say you can't find some reasonable equilibrium with rawhide, it's just that if you are a Tabla player without the physical means to do this kind of work, then you're stuck pulling your drum all the time and risking injury.

Nearly everything on our site is geared for the TransTabla system, Vectran included. I had that material custom made to Tabla strap width because it's the only fiber in the world with essentially zero stretch and creep. This is critical for the tuning mechanism of our Tablas so the user doesn't have to reset the mechanism as shown in one of our videos. However we have sold tons of Vectran to folks without a TransTabla and they swear by it, and most come back for more to install on their other drums. Combine it with a stainless ring, and you now have an incredibly stable system that stays in tune.

Best Wishes,

-David
Main Site: www.transtabla.us
Facebook: facebook.com/transtabla
Twitter: @TransTablas

xavxav8

Post by xavxav8 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 am

I'll have to check you guys out