How to distinguish between the playing of different gharanas

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Rageshri

How to distinguish between the playing of different gharanas

Post by Rageshri » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:25 am

Will be grateful if anyone can share a link which could help me differentiate between the playing styles of different gharanas like Benaras, Farrukhabad, Ajrara, etc.

david
Site Admin

Re: How to distinguish between the playing of different gharanas

Post by david » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:27 pm

I would respectfully like to remind you that there is a difference between Baj and Gharana. Baj is a style of playing while gharana is determined by ones linage. In the old days the baj that one played was an indication of ones gharana but today this is greatly reduced. Today musicians are supposed to be able to have facility in every Baj. Therefore, the question as to telling a person's garanna by the way that they play is like trying to guess a person's ancestry by the way that they speak. That is to say that (at least in the US) a person may speak English but that does not necessarily mean that by blood they are English.

Rageshri

Post by Rageshri » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks David. You are such a great and generous and considerate. May I humbly request you to enlighten me about tabla bajj so that I could know the characteristics of different bajj. Many thanks. Mohammad Shehzad

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Well there is no real consensus as to how many bajs there actually are. In the 19th century it appears that every gharana had its own baj. However, today we may look at it as being two tabla bajs and a pakhawaj baaj. The tabla bajs are nominally the Dilli baaj and the Purbi baj. The pakhawaj baaj, as the name implies, is the use of pakhawaj techniques upon the tabla.

The technical differences may be summed up simply by saying that the Purbi Baj tends to use more open handed strokes and the non-resonant strokes of the TiTa/TiRaKiTa class tend to have the right hand split between the index finger and the last three fingers. The dilli baj on the other hand tends to use a lot more rim strokes and the right hand non resonant strokes tend to view the hand as three functional units instead of two. These three being the index finger, middle finger, and last two fingers.

The subject is a mish-mosh and it is open to debate as to how many bajs there actually are. (Similar to the debate as to how many languages there are in India.) But it is clear that the technical differences are becoming fewer and fewer with each generation. It is clear that we are beginning to see a large common corpus of techniques that has been infused by artists from every gharana and every part of India.

Rageshri

Post by Rageshri » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks David. It is a lucid and compact definition which says a lot!

Rageshri

Post by Rageshri » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Dear ProfPandit,

Many thanks for the valued comments.