Na Dhin Dhin Na with Index Finger

Discussions about the Indian percussive instruments.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Rageshri

Na Dhin Dhin Na with Index Finger

Post by Rageshri » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:49 pm

I would be truly grateful if knowledgeable members of this forum could enlighten me how can one play teental in ati drut with just one finger. I noticed Pandit Anindoo Chatterjee never uses two fingers. Ustad Zakir Hussain does and the middle finger strikes the siyahi.

Thanks.

RobertMaya

Re: Na Dhin Dhin Na with Index Finger

Post by RobertMaya » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:50 pm

It's an altered dha - (ti+ga) - dhin - na where the middle finger when playing ti is on kinar to give the illusion of an index finger-y sound. That's all there is to it... You can of course play straight to show off, but when that becomes tiring and/or the sitar player wants to go faster, just switch.

Cheers,
Rob

VNO Design

Re: Na Dhin Dhin Na with Index Finger

Post by VNO Design » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:03 am

Rageshri wrote:I would be truly grateful if knowledgeable members of this forum could enlighten me how can one play teental in ati drut with just one finger. I noticed Pandit Anindoo Chatterjee never uses two fingers. Ustad Zakir Hussain does and the middle finger strikes the siyahi.

Thanks.
To answer your question directly, practice, practice, practice, listen to Pandit Anokhelal Mishra, practice, practice,...

There is no shortcut to playing Tintal one finger Dha Dhin Dhin Dha, and when mastered it's amazing. Robert may be refering to a different way of faking fast Tintal, but honestly I've never heard of the middle finger striking the kinar or even resting on it while playing Theka.

Best Wishes,

-David
Main Site: www.transtabla.us
Facebook: facebook.com/transtabla
Twitter: @TransTablas