Refinish Shells

Discussions about the Indian percussive instruments.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

jhauck

Refinish Shells

Post by jhauck » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:26 am

Hello Everyone,
Writing to see if anyone has any experience in refinishing shells, and if so, what material did they use? Examples: lacquer, varnish, urethane, tung oil, etc.

Also, have you noticed if refinishing alters the sound? Thanks for the help!
Jack

Tablatastic

Re: Refinish Shells

Post by Tablatastic » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi Jack,

When you say refinishing shells, are you referring to shell refurbishment of an old one?

If so Iam in the process of doing this myself as I have an old dayan which Iam refurbishing. My friend from Europe has done this where he sanded down the old shell just enough to remove the old polish on them and varnished it by using off the shelf products.

There would be no effect on sound as only scraping off old polish and re-coating with varnish.

I hope this helps. When I get round to completing mine if successful will add some before and after photos.

jhauck

Post by jhauck » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks for replying. I did mean "refinishing" the shell, meaning stripping off the old finish, sanding, staining and then applying a finish, either lacquer, varnish, verathane or tung oil. I was hoping to get some information from anyone who has done this type of work and if they felt that one type of finish was better than another.

Tablatastic

Post by Tablatastic » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 pm

No worries Jack.

Iam in the first stages of doing mine. Just in the process of removing the old paint. It's taking a long time due to work commitments and family but will get there soon.

If you can get hold of a spare tabla shell then could test out the products in small patches or can try on some wooden blocks but may not give you exact results but atleast will give you an idea.

Regards

VNO Design

Post by VNO Design » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:13 am

Hi Jack,

I've been doing this for quite some time and documented much of the process here: http://transtabla.us/retrofitblog/

There are many finishes to choose from depending on what look you're after and the type of wood you have. Check out the lineup of Transtabla shells, and let me know if you have other questions. I also offer full refinishing as a service if you find the process daunting or don't have proper equipment (which gets expensive).

Best wishes,

-David
Main Site: www.transtabla.us
Facebook: facebook.com/transtabla
Twitter: @TransTablas

dhatitdha

Post by dhatitdha » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:11 am

@VNO Design, TransTabla is amazing product. I appreciate your innovation.

jhauck

Post by jhauck » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks for your info David. I've refinished a lot of pianos with lacquer, but also got good results with a hand rubbed finish using Tung Oil. About four coats, waiting 24 hours or so between coats. Gives a nice warm look to the finish. Going to experiment with the Tung Oil on my next shell.