playing dha tre kre dhe te te ... fast

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

tablataal

playing dha tre kre dhe te te ... fast

Postby tablataal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 am

So in Zhakir Bhais recordings when playing chalans he plays the stroke dha tre kre dhe te te ka ta ga dhi ge ney ridiculously fast. There is a recording in "Selects" album where he plays this. I am familiar with playing it in slower speeds where the dhi is played phakawaj style, where all 4 fingers hit the tabla to make a ringing sound.

This technique seems too slow to play it at the speeds Zhakir bhai plays it at. How do you play this bol at lightning speeds? does the fingering change or is it just practice

Benarsidass

Re: playing dha tre kre dhe te te ... fast

Postby Benarsidass » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 am

Not sure about Zakir's recording, but at fast speeds it's common to substitute trake with reverse tete (starting with index finger). And din is played like tin/tu with just one finger.

So the fingering becomes: dhatete dhetete kataga tigene

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:59 am

Benarsidass wrote:Not sure about Zakir's recording, but at fast speeds it's common to substitute trake with reverse tete (starting with index finger). And din is played like tin/tu with just one finger.

That has to be the most corny thing I have ever heard in my tabla playing days in this lifetime at least.
How can you change the fingering of a bol and claim it to be the same.
In Hindi, that would be called "haraamkhori".
Not sure taking short-cuts is the right message to send to the readers of this board.
Specially the newer and less experienced ones
who are not yet aware of your Evil intentions.

hbajpai

Postby hbajpai » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Benarsidass wrote:Not sure about Zakir's recording, but at fast speeds it's common to substitute trake with reverse tete (starting with index finger). And din is played like tin/tu with just one finger.

I agree with the above suggested nikas completely.

I always wondered, if we were assign a metric of BPM, at what speed does one switch or should switch?

Also, Typically, lehra devices have a range marked for vilambit, Madhya, Drut and Ati Drut. Are these ranges quite standard?

profpandit

Postby profpandit » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:43 pm

hbajpai wrote:

I agree with the above suggested nikas completely.

I always wondered, if we were assign a metric of BPM, at what speed does one switch or should switch?

Also, Typically, lehra devices have a range marked for vilambit, Madhya, Drut and Ati Drut. Are these ranges quite standard?

You bring up an interesting point regarding absolute and relative speed.
It's wrong to take what someone like Zakir has done and generalize.
He has developed a very high speed of play, which is probably unparalled in time.
Taking the adaptations he has done to the kaidas he has chosen to play at his speeds
seems like trying to pluck low hanging fruit when none exist.
There's so many factors that come into play, speed being only one of them,
that the generalization made here seems a little too simplistic
and poor advise for even advanced players
The idea of changing fingering to simplify the mechanics is just one of many avenues for an advanced tablachee to explore.
Also, this only applies to a certain style of playing tabla
so it's probably one of 99 things that you can do even with the speicifc phrase that OP has mentioned

tablataal

Postby tablataal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 pm

IMO I thought it was always common to vary nikas to accommodate different speeds. Even teen taal theka (dha dhin dhin na) (1 finger) is often changed to dha dhi dhin na (uses 2 fingers) at ati druit it may even become dha ti ge ne....

singhhh_ap

Postby singhhh_ap » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I have seen many teachers and Maestros changing fingering to accommodate high speed. You may have a recitation which is different from the actual playing in some cases.

Example:

"Rare Treasures of Farukabad" - Arvind Mulgaonkar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY_RH2_ZGpU

50 Lessons for Tabla: Lesson 14: Kayda 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKAeAgqRkg

So, what Mr. Benarsidass wrote is accurate.

Kind Regards,
AP

rch

Postby rch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:47 pm

IMO, tabla is like a language if learnt in the early developmental years when the growth plates are still robust, gets ingrained into your system and one could even put lightening to shame, like Zakirji or Swapanji. Once past this stage however, you are essentially at the mercy of infinite practice. Mind that though if one really tries to attain that level of speed beyond that age or your comfort level with unrelenting practice, you might put yourself at risk of developing tendinitis and arthritis in the long run like the athletes do. CTS is only the tip of the iceberg!!!

Return to “TABLA”