Newbie question

Discussions about the Indian hand-drums known as tabla.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

biharilal

Newbie question

Post by biharilal » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:56 am

Hello, I am a newbie.
My question is what is the maximum propensity to gain for a beginner?
Is it through extensive research on the best known methods
that is now easily accessible through various online sources
or are you best off just following what your teacher has to say?
Also, as regards the quality of your first practice instrument,
what advice would you give on that?
Is is better to spend less and go with what the sellers recommend for beginners
or would a beginner benefit from getting a better quality instrument?
I have skimmed through the postings on this board
and found a few answers, but nothing definitive or conclusive.
I was hoping someone with experience could clarify the trade-offs involved

joshrudolph

Re: Newbie question

Post by joshrudolph » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:25 am

This advice is coming from another relative noob (been at it for about 4 years), so do with it what you will...

Listen to your teacher and practice what they say. If you don't have enough faith in what it is they are teaching, might be worth finding another teacher. The internet is an amazing source of exercises, compositions, advice, etc., but it is nowhere near as capable of tracking and commenting on your unique personal progress than your teacher is. On the most initial of so many preliminary stages, best not to get bogged down attempting to gauge the authenticity of differing advice culled from the web. Trust your teacher. Practicing personally recommended beginner exercises is likely far more productive at this stage than wading through endless digital commentary and BBS argument. You have a lot of practice to do; better get to it.

As for instrument quality, know that it will take you some time to learn just how fragile your drum can be. I bought a beautiful Mukta Das dayan and a performance duggi during my first year of practice, and fairly quickly watched the syahi on the right melt away and the one on the left fill with chalk because I did not yet know the right way to treat them. On the other hand, those drums also got me sitting a lot more frequently—the resonance, sharp difference between 'na' and 'tin,' and malleable bass were so very fascinating and soothing... In the end, I think the sacrificed heads were worth it, as they helped allow me to establish a solid 1-2hrs a day with my tabla.

Hope this is useful. Peace.

jhauck

Post by jhauck » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 pm

My advice is to get the best instrument you can afford. Don't try to save money as you can easily be disappointed. And be careful buying off the internet - you don't know what you're getting. Try to stay with established, reputable sellers. Also, realize that even $500-$600 for a great set is very inexpensive as musical instruments go. And you can always sell them down the road if you lose interest. Hope this helps!

jhauck

Post by jhauck » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:40 pm

My comment on buying off the internet meant from a private seller. I've bought online from dealers and have been, for the most part, very pleased. The nice thing with buying from a dealer is that they should have a return policy if you don't like a drum.

hbajpai

Post by hbajpai » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm

My opinion go for the best instrument your pockets can afford every time. Yes, you may go through them quite faster initially, but that issue will resolve on its own.

Care & maintain the instrument. Reapect it, but remember its an instrument meant to be played on and learned and not prayed to or admired like a piece of art.

Very few make it anywhere without structured instruction. Hence we have very few self taught prodigies. Go for the best human teacher you can access and afford.

Internet & other forms of self study have gotten quite good & accessible, but try not to rely on them entirely as they provide no feedback. That is unless you are a prodigy, which you may very well be.

Enjoy

singhhh_ap

Post by singhhh_ap » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:33 am

Please be aware of getting ripped off by Tabla vendors. I have met many good Tabla players from India and most of them pay around 10k -15k Indian Rupee for their Tabla. This Tabla price for western customers is getting ridiculous.

You need a good teacher to learn Tabla as Mr. Bajpai suggested and it applies to initial few years. Once you have a solid background and experience you can learn new compositions from the books and other resources.

edm_tabla

Post by edm_tabla » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:57 am

I am a newbie too, started ~1.5 years ago. At the beginning I was renting low-quality tabla sets, since I was not sure if I was going to continue. After a few months my teacher asked me to buy good quality tabla, since playing on bad quality ones can adversely affect your technique since you will be trying to play hard (or differently) to get sound out from a bad tabla set.

I bought from Mukta Das, and very happy so far. He charges Rs 15,000 for the set (same for 5.5" and 6") and shipping charges (Rs. 7000 or so) for shipping from India.
Last edited by edm_tabla on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

singhhh_ap

Post by singhhh_ap » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:11 am

So, you should not be paying more than $323.05 including shipping and handling for the set.

biharilal

Post by biharilal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks to everyone who responded.
My conclusion is I should stick with my teacher for the learning part
and get as good quality an instrument as I can to hear better sounds as I practice