4.75" pudis?

Discussions about the Indian percussive instruments.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Acelga

4.75" pudis?

Post by Acelga » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,

just wanted to ask you guys if 4.75" pudis are currently made or are they impossible to find, a rarity.

I have two tabla shells this size. One is regular quality, the other one is tourist quality, really cheap.

The second one came originally fitted with a horrible, untunable pudi and worse strap. The other one... I don´t know, it was a gift and the friend who gave it to me is not here anymore. Both were currently without pudis.
I fixed one of them recently, with a wasted 5.25" pudi, and some sound comes out of it.
I wonder why those tablas were made this size, it really amazes me that such uncommon sizes are made even when nobody seems to use them and replacement for them seem uncommon. Is really funny. 8)

Would fixing them with 5" pudis make any sense or would it be a waste of time, effort and money?

Thanks

Tablatastic

Re: 4.75" pudis?

Post by Tablatastic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:39 pm

HI

It can be a possibility, as for your information I have had a 4.78" made for me with exact measurements a while back, however you have to try the makers in India to see if they can do this size as not many players go for this size. a 5.25" would be too large for a dayan shell this size. May want to try 5" and see how loose it is as it can effect sound quality if pudi is too big for the shell from my experience.

I don't play the 4.78" dayan much as feel it is too small for my hands and have difficulty with playing fluently on it, however it does the job for folk music but unfortunately this pudi has gone so the shell needs re-heading but not going to rush.

If you are going to use them purely for riyaaz then I would personally purchase a decent set with good tone and possibly a larger diameter shell.

Hope this helps.

david
Site Admin

Post by david » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm

I have them and I sell them. Contact me by email. david@chandrakantha.com

Acelga

Post by Acelga » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:36 am

I actually have small hands, but for riyaaz use 5.5" or bigger sizes form time to time, to get used to them :-)

Those smaller tablas are for my kid, who enjoys beating (and ruining) my good tablas. Those were cheap shells I had home and will just try to get them sounding so he can enjoy playing with them (instead of with my concert stuff LOL).

Thanks for the replies. I will contact David to get details.